Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Was it really neglect?

Posted by   + Show Post

I was reading about the 23 day old baby that died in the hot car while her parents were traveling across the country.

If you arent familiar with the story, last week, a family from Ohio was moving to Oklahoma. They had their toddler and newborn in the car with them. The cars air conditioner didn't work and only one window rolled down. When they were about 30 miles from their destination, they stopped for water at a convenience store and noticed the baby wasn't breathing. They took her into the store, called 911, did CPR but the baby had died. The cause of death is heat related. Both parents were arrested and charged with child neglect.

So here is my question. There are millions of families in the US who cannot afford to have the air conditoners fixed in their cars. They didn't leave the baby in a hot car alone, they were traveling in the car with her.

Should they have been arrested and charged with neglect?

by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Replies (211-214):
Pammi86
by Pamela on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Its hard to really say. I do not think they did this on purpose and didn't realize the affects of the heat!

Ebonylba
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:12 PM

No. It seems like it should be common sense if its too hot and car windows aren't working properly not to travel, but I'm almost  sure they didn't do this on purpose. This is so sad.

naominpipermom
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Is it tragic yes but who knows what their financial situation was? Maybe they couldn't afford a new car
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goldilocksbecky
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 11:23 AM

New car or not, someone could have sat in the back with the baby and kept it cool with wet cloths, fanning, ice pack, etc.

Quoting naominpipermom: Is it tragic yes but who knows what their financial situation was? Maybe they couldn't afford a new car

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)