Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Simplifying Lunch

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 61 Replies

I'm sure the easiest way to feed your children during the school year would be to send them to eat hot lunch every day. Then you use no time, and waste no stress, over packing lunches in the mornings. Unfortunately, my kids don't like every meal option at their school. So, our years consist of a mix-and-match of Sack/Hot lunch days.

In order to still try to eliminate the stress around preparing lunch in moarning rush, we have a few procedures in place when the lunch calendar comes home for the month.

1. I have always asked my children to choose at least one hot lunch day a week, if for no other reason but to give me a break making lunches. If they choose more than one, I consider it a blessing as their school offers hot meal options much better than I can send in a lunch box.
  2. I insist they sit down with the calendar and highlight the days they want to eat hot lunch. My daughter helps her brother read and they highlight in different colors. The calendar then stays on the refridgerator.
  3. On the days I have to pack lunches, I try to do so the night before.  
  4. But since I rarely remember, I have the kids help me in the mornings. To facilitate that, I keep the non-perishable choices in a box in a lower cabinet. While I'm making sandwiches, I tell them what to grab out of the box to put in their lunch box, for example: "One granola bar, one applesauce, and one pack of crackers." I also keep their drink options on the lower shelf of the refrigerator so they can do that part too.
  5. The last thing I do - more to add a bit of joy than to remove stress - is put the periodic joke in their lunch box. I did an internet search of "Jokes for Kids" and found thousands of pages. I simply copied and pasted them into a document and I printed it up. I cut one off a couple times a week. It's not as thoughtful as a hand-written note, but it takes less time and it's way more entertaining. And it makes you a hit with the other kids!

What time-saving tricks help you with lunches during the school year?

Read about the Chevy Traverse at #TraverseTested

by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sukainah
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Mine both eat at school.  We are on a reduced meal plan, so it's cheaper and easier.  My pre-k eats free at school.

nymom13
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:53 AM
My daughter buys her lunch at school every day so I don't have to pack a lunch. It's kind of nice that way, but if they still do snack time in 3rd grade (which I highly doubt) that will be a royal pain. My daughter starts school next Thursday.
dusky_rose
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I think that it would be easier to pick either all hot lunches or all cold lunches. My son is getting cold lunches from home.

Kmakksmom
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM

My girls all eat school lunches.  My son eats here at home.

LuLuRex
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I'm packing a bento box for my son this year with a bunch of different options.

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I make them the night before. DD will mostly buy this year

.Angelica.
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:30 PM

i'm not looking forward to packing school lunches. my son is so picky about his food. and there is no option for hot lunch at school where he is going.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:00 PM

It does not take me long to pack 2 lunches every morning.

Bob192
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Have most of it prepared the night before or have the kids make their own if they have time.

countrygirlkat
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I will either pack them the night before or have a plan the morning of so it isn't a guessing game.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)