Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

The Stress-Free Way Of Walking Your Child Into School Their First Day

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 55 Replies

My oldest child starts college this year and my youngest starts Kindergarten. That means I've survived 17 First Days spread out between three kids, 13 years, and 6 different schools. And if there's one thing I know for sure: There is NO traffic day worse than traffic at a school on the first day of the year.

This is mostly due to parents walking their children into school, which is often necessary for many valid reasons. Dozens of problems or issues can pop up forcing parents to park at the school and walk their children in on that busy first day. At my daughter's school last year, there were cars parked on the football field because all of the parking lots (and the grass medians around the lots) were full.

I want to walk my son in this year. He's starting Kindergarten and I feel like it's my job to walk him in on the first day if my schedule will allow it - which it will. So, in order to A) not contribute to the traffic problem and B) not contribute to the parking problem; I have found a solution that I've been using for years now. I simply find a place to park within walking distance of the school. One year, this was a neighborhood street a few blocks away. Another year, I chose a gas station across the street and down the road a bit. For this last two years, I've used a baseball field nearby.

In order to still be able to be at my computer for my Monday morning 8am conference call, this takes a bit of planning. I have to plan on walking through the doors at the earliest possible moment the school will allow, which means I have to leave the house much earlier than I would on a regular school day. BUT IT IS WORTH IT.

Why? It saves IMMENSE time and stress. And let me tell you how:

• No parking spot hunting.
  • No parking spot creating in fields and medians when your hunt turns up nothing.
  • No rush to meet and greet the teacher since you're probably the first one in the classroom.
  • No rush to say goodbye to your child since you're still way in advance of the last 10 minutes rush.
  • No panic when you see you can't leave the school property because the you've been blocked in my parents who invented parking places. (I see this happen every year.)
  • No panic when you realize that the traffic getting off the school property is at a standstill because someone parked in the drop-off lane. (This happens every year at every school. No amount of signage seems to help.)

After 13 years I've almost perfected avoiding any of those stress-inducing situations that will inevitably make me late for work. All because I get there early, and I park off campus.

What drop-off tricks have you figured out over the years?

Read about the Chevy Traverse at #TraverseTested

by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sukainah
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Leave early and get there early when taking them and picking them up.

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I park where staff parks lol. Plus for years I was the pto pres so I was always there early anyways.

Kmakksmom
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Our girls are close enough to their schools that they can walk, which is what they have decided to do.  Our son could walk, but he's in Kindergarten at another school close to us but we will be driving him.   We'll just leave early.

LuLuRex
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Agreed! This is what I do too!

Quoting sukainah:

Leave early and get there early when taking them and picking them up.

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Leave early

.Angelica.
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:24 PM

great tips

Bob192
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I wish we lived close enough to walk.  We are close enough to ride our bikes.  Maybe after the smallest kids are older we can do that.  For us dropping off earlier is better to beat the rush and we are not stressed.

dusky_rose
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:21 PM

We live close enough to walk to school. I'm strongly considering doing this the first day, if we are not running late. You are right, traffic is terrible the first day.

lalasmama2007
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:39 PM

My DD's school doesn't allow parents to walk their kids to class.  My dd takes the bus anyway.

countrygirlkat
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 3:33 PM

We live close to the school so we ride bikes or walk every day the weather will allow.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN