Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

The Importance of Dating Your Children

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 52 Replies

Every Monday as Addie got off the school bus, we'd get right in the car and drive to a local restaurant that had a half price menu from 2-4 p.m. We called it "Milkshake Monday." No one else knew about Milkshake Monday, not even the restaurant we celebrated it at (athough they started to catch on after a few weeks.) It was our own little way to celebrate making it through Monday, gearing up for the rest of the week and reconnecting at the end of what is always the longest school day.

It's a tradition that held strong for two and a half years until I had my second baby and our milkshake tradition had to take a back seat to naptime. Addie and I still get out regularly for a little treat here and there, giving us a chance to get away from all the distractions at home and simply talk about school, friends, work or whatever else may be bothering either of us.

The secret to finding a great getaway spot is looking for somewhere local with some sort of mid-afternoon special, maybe a half price menu item or daily deal. Coupons are always a great option as well, especially the buy one get one free offers that come in the mail. Not the type to bond over treats? Bring a blanket and a snack to share under a shady tree at a local park.

As naptime begins to fade away and preschool for my younger daugther looms on the horizon, Addie and I may have to induct Vivi into our secret Milkshake Monday club. I'm hoping that both girls grown up with fond memories of our little dates together. TIme spent doing simple but fun things, just the two or three of us.

What's your favorite way to "date" your children?

Read about the Chevy Traverse at #TraverseTested

by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sukainah
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Sometimes on Fridays we pick up their dad at work and hit up McD's LOL

Kmakksmom
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:22 PM

We love just doing stuff as a family.  Our family days are on the weekends during school time, and whenever we feel like having a family day during the summer.

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:48 PM

My dd and I do alot of things together. Every Friday after school (or summer camp) we go to a local ice cream parlor, my dd loves this, we've been doing it for years.

LuLuRex
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I go on "dates" all the time with my kids. I think it's really important to have one on one time with them.

Roo1234
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:43 PM
I have dated my children for years... maybe not every week... there are 3 of them.... but they each get one pub one time with me on a regular basis.
splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 26, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I always say I'm going to do this with my oldest. Him & SO do "boys days" a lot. Guess I need to get on the ball before this baby gets here. 

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 3:54 PM

We go to dinner and movies together

We love family time

.Angelica.
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I don't even "date" my husband :/

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I always took daughter to a movie and dinner.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I take each of my kids out by themselves for lunch or a special treat. Dh likes to take them to breakfast.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN