Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Met teachers this evening. . .

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 8:59 PM
  • 10 Replies

@ orientation.  I asked about them to other parents, & got some very positive feedback.  I liked that Ds's teacher in particular took time to have an individual conversation w/ each student.  So far, they've always done it, but this one really stood out.  Anyway, I am having flashbacks so to speak w/ dd.  She is starting a new school this year-she'll be in 3d, which puts her in the secondary of the "sister schools."  Anyway, when she was in K, she got lost on her way to class during the first week. (She rode the bus, & even if she didn't, parents are not allowed to walk kids into the building for safety reasons.)  Anyway, she was late & scared. The speech teacher saw her standing in the middle of the hallway, & asked dd her name & who her teacher was.  DD wouldn't answer her.  @ 1st, teacher didn't know if dd didn't understand or if she was just extremely shy.  Finally found her name we'd written inside her backpack.  I didn't find out for quite a while.  That's another story.  Anywhoo. . .dd did get better as she got more comfortable in the school.  But she's still shy & quiet.  I am just so afraid of her getting lost again like that.  I did mention it to her teacher, but I'm afraid I just came off as some overprotective parent.  I hope I am overreacting, but it does make me nervous for next week. . .

by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Janet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:24 PM
I would take her to school the first day.
catevincesmom
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks.  Already planning on it.  :-)  May not be able to walk her in, per regs, but I was told there were lots of adults to help the kids.  I can @ least see how many adults are out there.  :-)

Quoting Janet:

I would take her to school the first day.

SlapItHigh
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I would take her too
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

We met our sons Monday...today his school will post sturdent/teacher lists at school door

mamavalor
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

This happens all the time.  It's part of growing up and being independent and learning your way around.  Don't worry and let her figure it out.  Improving her problem-solving skills will help her in the long run.  It's nerve racking for us mamas but we need to let them handle it.

OliviasMommy611
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Agree

Quoting SlapItHigh:

I would take her too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this

My son just started a new school this year as a second grader. I worried about the same thing. I don't think you are overreacting. 

catevincesmom
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Thanks. 

Quoting splatz:

My son just started a new school this year as a second grader. I worried about the same thing. I don't think you are overreacting. 

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Does she have a friend in her class or a classroom next to it that she could walk in with?
catevincesmom
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

At the time, I didn't even think about this. . .she chose to ride the bus. Proud of their confidence & independence.  Good sign.  Our next-door neighbor has a 5th grader @ the school.  He saidthis morning that he'd help her find her way.  So, I do feel a LITTLE better now.  :-)

Quoting Noni2319:

Does she have a friend in her class or a classroom next to it that she could walk in with?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN