Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Does this make me a bad mom?

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:31 PM
  • 42 Replies

I'm 23 with a 17 month old little boy and a little girl due to be born by c-section in 4 weeks.  I have been feeling super tired and my DS has been going through this phase of not wanting to nap during the day.  So I suggested to my DH that maybe we let his brother and wife babysit our DS for a day so I could get a day of rest before our DD makes her apperance.  He told me that once you become a mom there are no days off and he is completly against the idea.  He doesn't want anyone babysitting our DS, he'd be ok with just his brother but he doesn't like his SIL.  I guess my question is does it make me a bad mom to want a day to myself before DD gets here?

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LAXmom21
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Does NOT make you a bad mom. My MIL took my oldest the day before I was going to be induced so I could sleep and get ready for the new baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Doesn't make you a bad mom at all. Even after the baby gets here there are going to be times where you need a day to yourself and there is nothing wrong with that.

Mom2Aubriella
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Everyone needs rest, mother or not. It isn't taking a day "off" it is an oppertunity for his brother to spend time with him and it gives you a chance to rest. That isn't taking a day off that is killing two birds with one stone. 

2ArfarasMom
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Your dh sounds like a jerk. You are about to pop and he doesn't think you should have a day off? I think he needs to be more supportive! There's nothing wrong with his bro watching ds while you get some much needed rest. Perhaps you should strap a pregnancy belly on him and have him care for your ds on his own and see how long until he is laying on the floor whining at your feet that he needs a break. Bet that wouldn't take long
SlapItHigh
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 12:35 AM
No, babysitter sounds like a great idea. Your husband is being unreasonable.
Mrs.Thomason
by Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Thank you everyone now that i feel some support behind me I'm going to tell him to deal with it lol.  You guys made me feel much better.  : ) : )

momof3jam
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:12 AM
Are you crazy? You're not a bad mom, he's being silly. He's right, after the baby comes, you won't have as many breaks and things will be difficult. Why not take the help while you can? It's not like you're going to miss out on all his childhood milestones in just a few days. Enjoy it. it's your call, he's not the one having surgery soon.
momamanda
by Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:14 AM
1 mom liked this

ummm... no! All moms deserve a day off now and then! Wish you dh could see that!

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:14 AM
Nope, it makes your husband selfish, because " once your a father, there ARE no days off from being one. But I bet he takes them!"

Suggest camping with brother and son, a great experience , you get what you need and SIL won't be there because it's " guy time"

Pardon me for the honesty, but your husband is being a bit of a prick.
Retrokitty
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:18 AM
The first advice my mom gave me was "good moms need breaks. That way they come back rested and refreshed and can be even better moms"
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)