Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Redefining Pajamas

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 53 Replies

I remember many years ago meeting a Mom who said that all of her boys put on their next day's school clothes after their nightly baths. This saved them the time and stress of getting everyone dressed for school the next day. My first thought was, "GENIUS! We're starting tomorrow!" Because, like most households, I spend more breath saying, "PLEASE GET DRESSED!" than any other phrase in the mornings.

But, then I thought about my daughter and wondered if this would actually be a possibility. I decided it couldn't work for two reasons:

1) Her clothes showed wrinkles easily and
2) She was old enough to think it was "grody."

However, I knew that one day this technique would work beautifully for my son.

The trick is, the younger the child, the more likely they'll make a mess when they eat breakfast. Therefore, at least in our house, you don't get dressed until after you eat. Then, there's the age when any child - boy or girl - will have hangups about going to school in the clothes they slept in. So, for my son, I knew we'd only have a few solid years where this technique would actually ease our mornings.

And this year? Is the start of those years.

My son is finally old enough to eat breakfast without making a huge mess. But, he's not too old to think that going to school in the clothes he sleeps in is yucky in any way. As a matter of fact, when I first proposed the idea to him? He thought it was the BEST. IDEA. EVER.

So, this year? We will be eliminating one task in the mornings: The task of getting my son dressed. He will put on his school clothes after his bath at night, and then when I wake him up in the morning he will already be READY FOR SCHOOL! Eat our breakfast, brush our teeth, and we will be out the door. I can't wait. I feel like I've been waiting on this day for years. And while it's still just one task removed from our mornings, it's one of the most frustrating tasks because my son wants nothing more than to be in his underwear 24 hours a day.

Have you ever used this time-saving technique with your kids?

Read about the Chevy Traverse at #TraverseTested

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:30 PM

No, this isn't something I would do.

sukainah
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I spray their shirts with a wrinker releaser and hang them up the night before and know what they are going to wear.

jessicasmom1
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:10 PM

we always just pick out clothes the night before

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Never did this.

dusky_rose
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I prefer my son sleeps in his pjs.

lalasmama2007
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Nope

Kmakksmom
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM

No.  I honestly don't think it would work for any of my kids, my 5 year old son included. 

LuLuRex
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I would pick out their clothes the night before but not have them sleep in their clothes. 

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Aug. 26, 2013 at 3:48 PM

No, not something I would do

We pick clothes out the night before and set everything out. We don't have issues getting out the door in the morning

.Angelica.
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:34 PM

i haven't used it. and don't think I would.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)