Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Would you send your child to a boarding school? even as a day student?

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:18 PM
  • 92 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm just curious how parents feel about this subject? Most boarding school are college preparatory, idepedent schools with a very rigorous curriculum. Would you send your child to one of these school if they were accepted? Why or why not? How about as a day student (only attending during the day, not boarding)?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2ljh
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:21 PM
He's all ready in a high caliber independent college prep school. If he were to find a boarding school he wished to attend, I wouldn't go so far as to forbid it. We would discuss the option as a family and the pros and cons, compared to staying where he is currently. I would probably discourage it though. He's in this school for a reason and I want him to graduate from it.
splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I've honestly never thought about it. 

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Never thought about it before

DACIA79
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Me and my brothers had a chance to go to boarding school. Scotland School for Veteran's Children. My brother went I didn't but it was a great opportunity and if my kids wanted to go depending on how old they were I wouldn't stop them.
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:52 AM
No.
CorpCityGrl
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 12:52 PM

It depends on how far away it is and whether or not DD would be okay with it.

My cousin was sent to boarding school about an hour away after her father died when she was still in junior high.  It was the best thing for her and she admits it.  It was a great school with a great support system for her and helped her straighten out and really prepared her for college and life after.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Maybe during the day.

RobinChristine
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

As a day student yes,as a boarder no. From what I have seen looking them up many are almost like a prison,very little freedom. I have a special needs son so not even considering this,I was curious

Cafe Amanda
by Head Admin on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I went to boarding school for high school! Wasn't actually that far from home but logistics wouldn't allow me to be a day student. I loved it.

Quoting britnipaige:

I'm just curious how parents feel about this subject? Most boarding school are college preparatory, idepedent schools with a very rigorous curriculum. Would you send your child to one of these school if they were accepted? Why or why not? How about as a day student (only attending during the day, not boarding)?

Cafe Amanda
by Head Admin on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:19 PM

There were obviously some limitations on where we could go off-campus but I would not describe it at all as prison-like. Thankfully!

Quoting RobinChristine:

As a day student yes,as a boarder no. From what I have seen looking them up many are almost like a prison,very little freedom. I have a special needs son so not even considering this,I was curious

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)