Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Protecting our children...

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:51 PM
  • 32 Replies

Is there really a way to fully protect our kids from violence? I saw on the news that a school in S.W.Atlanta was shut down b/c a kids bought 2 guns to school...It's only been a week in! I guess homeschooling would work huh?

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BatMom.
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this
No one is safe these days..it makes me so sad and scared. I Homeschool, but I can't do it forever, unfortunately.
Shaybay218
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:06 PM

The same thing i'm thinking....yes it does sadden me and it hurts my heart to know the kids are just as violent...Do you think the parents are to blame?

Quoting BatMom.:

No one is safe these days..it makes me so sad and scared. I Homeschool, but I can't do it forever, unfortunately.

BatMom.
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, but not all the time. Sometimes it's just kids doing dumb, dangerous stuff.

Quoting Shaybay218:

The same thing i'm thinking....yes it does sadden me and it hurts my heart to know the kids are just as violent...Do you think the parents are to blame?

Quoting BatMom.:

Juls_71
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM
I was home school twice due to being sick and went to public and I wish I could do homeschooling where they only go to high school but I won't do it there a lot of schools but I be. Johnny on the spot if something happen at Louis school and his. One month four day. Old brothers and sisters I be the same way I wouldn't even put a picture on the computer scared a pervert might get turn on cause of them but I have other reasons and I am I guess you say over protective but in today world is there. Really. Is there a reason ?
KenneMaw
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Unfortunately, I think it is the era we live in. Guns and violence are glorified everywhere.  Plus, for boys and some little girls, guns are really exciting and dangerous. The kids have NO CLUE about the damage they can cause.   We live outside of Atlanta, and honestly, homeschooling wouldn't protect your kids because there have been alot of reports about people and children being randomly hit by stray bullets in their homes and apartments.

Culture is to blame. Parents are to blame for not securing their weapons and teaching gun safety.   Kids are to blame for not respecting a gun and the rules and leaving firearms alone.

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Crazy!

Shaybay218
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah I agree...

Quoting BatMom.:

Yes, but not all the time. Sometimes it's just kids doing dumb, dangerous stuff.

Quoting Shaybay218:

Quoting BatMom.:

othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:14 AM
2 moms liked this

No you can't. You can just hope that you can teach them to be cautious and pay attention to what is around them.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Quoting othermom:

No you can't. You can just hope that you can teach them to be cautious and pay attention to what is around them.

I agree here.

You protect them as best you can especially when they are really young, after that though:

All you can do is hope that you taught them what they need to pay attention to what is going on around them and how to respond intelligently to what they see.

CafeMom Tickers
MomofHDFandNWF
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Even homeschooling is not a sure-fire way to keep our kids safe.  Unfortunately, in the world we live in, that is not a possibility anymore.  I wish it was... Even in a homschool situation, you still take them out in public; and who is to say how safe they are when they are not with you.  Definitely do the best to protect your kids - but also be realistic that there are just some things you can not protect them from as much as you wish you could....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN