Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Power of Lunchtime Love Notes

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 51 Replies

When my husband and I were first married, he would leave me a trail of Post-It notes throughout the house on occassion. Each one would have a different message, one on the bathroom mirror would read 'yep, you're pretty' while one on the cereal box read 'love you more than Lucky Charms.' I have kept them all, and occassionally one will pop out of nowhere. I was reaching into a kitchen drawer yesterday when I found one that read 'I miss you.' How a little love note managed to travel from our first apartment in Utah through seven different apartments and across seven states and into a kitchen drawer in Indiana is beyond me, but I'm glad it did.

Whenever I leave town I do my best to leave Addie little love notes. I'll either mail them to her the day I leave (what kid doesn't love getting mail?) or I'll tuck them into her pillow or backpack. While she takes lunch at school most days, I always tuck a note in with her lunch on the days she takes her own. Sometime's they're just jokes, othertimes they're drawings and oftentimes they're notes letting her know that I'm thinking about her. I have one friend who found a lunchbox with a dry erase board in it and everyday he draws his kid epic sketches of favorite characters or stories. He's known as "The Lunchbox Guy" at school and has gained quite a following.

Had I been the kid with the dad famous for his cool drawings I would have felt pretty special.

I've seen some parents draw notes on brown paper lunch sacks, I've seen others make elaborate bento lunches with hearts and hidden messages. I prefer to stick with the classic square note paper. Last week when I was gathering up laundry in Addie's room I found a stockpile of notes I have written to her over the years, notes she didn't throw away with the rest of her lunch. Notes she kept safe and carried back home to save.

Who knows, maybe they'll follow her forever just as my treasured love notes from my husband have.

Do you ever leave your kids love notes in their lunchbox or backpack?

Read about the Chevy Traverse at #TraverseTested

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HeatherJ501
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Mine hasn't got to that age, but I will when he does! My dad always left me post its in my lunchbox. He would also leave post it notes all over the house reminding me of things I need to do.
goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I put jokes in my dd's lunchbox.

MrsMadDogMorgan
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Yes I put them in my daughters lunch box all year last year :-) she could not read yet other than her name. She came home and told me she took it to her lunch lady and asked her what it was? The lunch lady read it to her and she smiled really big and told her thank you. So from that day on when she takes her lunch she finds the lunch lady to read her note to her.I love being a mom there is no greater job around that you can get such great love from
sukainah
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:57 AM

They both eat lunch at school, and I don't put them in their backpacks, but sometimes i leave some around the house.

mum_of_ian
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Yes, I always did and still do. They love them.

Cafe AmyB
by Head Admin on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:24 AM

My little guy is 13 now and I put a love note in his lunch box everyday until 5th grade when he asked me to stop. I respected his wishes.

jessicasmom1
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I love these always a note and a piece of candy in her lunch

dusky_rose
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I need to do this, my son is starting 1st grade this year.

lalasmama2007
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I might.  This will be my DD's first year eating lunch at school.

Kmakksmom
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:39 PM

My mom used to.  I never have, because my kids love the school's lunches.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)