Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How to stay on schedule with a large family: You get a ring, and you get a ring!

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 57 Replies
1 mom liked this

I’m one of those people that is alway 5 - 10 minutes early to wherever I need to be. If I’m running late (see: right on schedule or legitimately not on time), my anxiety rises and I start to internally freakout.

And as any parent of young children knows, somedays you can try your hardest, but kids are going to do what they’re going to do - and oftentimes they move at their own sloooooow pace. Schedule? They don’t care about a schedule!

For me, this translates into starting the process of leaving the house ridiculously early - with the end goal of getting there on time. I figure, if we’re early - we can always listen to the radio or look at books in the car to kill a few minutes. And if we’re late? Well, I just can’t go there.

But with essentially six people oftentimes going in six different directions, I simply cannot keep up with all the schedules.  Admittedly, one time last year I got so wrapped up with what I was doing at home that I completely forgot to pick my first grader from school at the end of the day.

She made it home - 50 minutes late after the teacher called me to make sure I was ok.

Um yeah, not ok.

That day was a game changer for me. I knew this type of thing could never happen again, and I needed a plan. So what did I do? I devised a not-so-scientific way to make sure everyone got to where the needed to be - when they needed to be there.

Simply: Each person in my family has been assigned a fun ringtone of their choosing as an alarm on my phone, and 15 minutes before anyone has to be anywhere - it goes off.

My 3rd grader chose Miley Cyrus’ “Party in the USA” as her ringtone, my 1st grader’s song is MIKA’s “Lollipop”. And mine just might be the chorus to Katy Perry’s new song, “Roar”. I got the eye of a tiger...

So throughout the day - my family’s songs keep me going, and keep us ticking on time. Assuming I don’t mute my phone and forget to turn the sound back on, that is.

How about you? How do you stay on track - making sure everyone gets to where they need to be?

Read about the Chevy Traverse at #TraverseTested

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sukainah
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:58 AM

We don't have a large family so I wake them up about the same time to get into the bathroom.  It works out pretty well.

mum_of_ian
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Love my phone calendar reminders.

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:56 AM

not a large family here

dusky_rose
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I write important stuff on my desk calendar and only have one son at home.

Kmakksmom
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:29 PM

We have 5 kids and honestly I am not sure how we do it.  We just do.

LuLuRex
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I have a calendar in my kitchen where I keep all practices, appointments, etc. 

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Use a calender and reminders on my phone

.Angelica.
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:33 PM

we have led a very relaxed, laid back life so far. so this hasn't been an issue yet

MagicTemptation
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:49 PM

We simplified after school activities by finding a family gym that offers daycare, prek, dance, karate, swimming, football, baseball, soccor, tennis, cheerleading, and tumbling. It also has an adult only gym area, spa, and cafe. We all arrive together, I drop each kid (we have 6) at their appropriate practice. If one does not have anything assigned that day, they go into the daycare (which has their own playroom, electronic room, jungle gym room, gym, and outdoor play area). The kids do their own thing while dad and I can workout, go to the spa, relax in a hottub, or grab a coffee. 

At home I have a command center posted in the hallway.  On it has our house rules, weekly schedule, menu for the week, chore chart, behavior chart, our daily routine schedule, and my weekly cleaning list. Girls bathe at night, boys shower in the morning (unless they really need it). We only have one bathroom so teethbrushing is done in the kitchen, and hairbrushing is done in the hallway right outside the bathroom door.

Most people would think with 6 kids ranging in age from 3 to 9 we would be hectic and chaotic. However we are fairly laid back since following our new routine. 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:55 PM

We have 3 kids, only 2 in school and I stay home and honestly we haven't ad any issues like that yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN