Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

calling all cat lovers! need advice/ update

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:36 AM
  • 6 Replies

I have always been a animal lover, but for the past few years ive held off on getting a pet because of the kids. A few weeks ago though i suprised m son after a weekend at his dads with a kitten. He was so excited! A little male ,black kittten,

But now as the kittens getting older, hes getting wild. He attacks ou legs as we walk, yestuday he scratched m sons leg all over. They were pretty deep and m son is 3, he looks at me and said I dont want the kitty anymore mommy. This was not the first time. Its gotten to the point, I have to shut the kitten in the bathroom while my daughter (9 months) is crawling around because he will sprint across the room with enough force to acually tacal her and he attacks her head! She has a deep cut in the back of her head and a bite mark on her cheek! I hate locking him up all day, but my kids come first.

We plan on getting him fixed soon, Do ou think this will help calm him down?

We also have a big yard, with plenty of shelter and space, should he just be a outside pet? i would try finding him another home but it will be hard when he acts like this, we have no kill free shelters around here so pound is out of the question. Id rather him outside with a fighting chance, than in a cage waiting to die.

Opinions.

Just called vet and we cant get him fixed until hes 6 months, he is only 3. And i fogot to mention, he also keeps pooping on the floor. He stopped doing it for a couple weeks but then all of a sudden started agian! I thought maybe whoever lived here before had pets and he was just smelling them, but today i shampooed the floor and he litterally watched me do it and as soon as i stopped, went and did it agian. So if it is him smelling other pets, it must be so bad its in the wood underneath! Is there anything I can do about this? And I also forgot I cant put him outside, because last week my neighbors decided to get two big, loud, dobermens that would eat him alive!... Ugh i'm screwed arent I? LOL

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
SlapItHigh
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Getting him fixed will make a huge difference for a male cat. It makes male cars super chill. Also, you can clip his nails yourself. We do that to our car and that way if he does scratch, it won't be deep.
britnipaige
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:32 AM

If you really want to keep him in you could get him de-clawed. But I only recommend that if he will never be sent out side where he might need them. Getting him fixed could help alot, I've know cats who after being fixed changed their whole attitude.

you could send him outside, but there is no guarantee he won't run off or that some other child will find him and claim him. Good luck!!

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Getting him fixed should help. Also if you keep a spritz bottle or squirt gun of water handy and give him a spray when he's doing that. It helps.
Mom2Aubriella
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Kittens do tend to act like that, specially males. To them they are playing, they arent trying to hurt you. When another cat is around they do that to one another, hes practicing his hunting skills. He may calm down if you get him fixed and it still may take some time. I'd say let him outside while the kids are awake and before you go to bed let him in to sleep.

my4loves4
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:10 PM

This is what I wanted to do but my husband says no. he said he either stays in or out so we dont have to worry about flees. :(

Quoting Mom2Aubriella:

Kittens do tend to act like that, specially males. To them they are playing, they arent trying to hurt you. When another cat is around they do that to one another, hes practicing his hunting skills. He may calm down if you get him fixed and it still may take some time. I'd say let him outside while the kids are awake and before you go to bed let him in to sleep.

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Older kittens are hormonal teenagers. It's never on purpose unless they've accidentally been mishandled.

I agree in getting him fixed, and a vet can teach you how to clips nails. A cat tree or some form of scratching implement will help some....as will a water bottle for spraying a misbehaving teen- kitten.

I, myself, can not tell you in good conscience to declaw. The are more prone to biting , the rest of it you can research yourself.

Good luck, I have four now. I've owned them all my life. I've only own one declawed because she came to me thAt way.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN