Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Twas’ the night before the (first) first day of school

Last night my family had dinner over at the neighbors, and for them, it was their first ever “school night”. In the morning, their oldest child would be attending her first day of kindergarten. Tomorrow would be her (first) first day of school.

I could tell both my friend and daughter were excited yet nervous. Not knowing what to expect, but optimistically expecting nothing but the best. My friend asked me if I had any advice for her - knowing I had been down this very road myself, not too long ago.

Did I have advice for her? Of course I had advice for her!
To be taken with a grain of salt of course...

1. Prep as much as you can the night before, so mornings run smoothly. Lay uniforms out, prep lunches, make sure homework is complete, and always know where the school shoes are.

2. Serve a good, nutrient dense breakfast. With the start of school - my girls are now getting up earlier, and eating lunch later. Plus, no snacks throughout the day like there is at home. In order to avoid late morning sugar crashes, I bulk them up in the morning -  so they can last (and learn!) throughout the day.

3. It’s ok if the first day of school isn’t the BEST! DAY! EVER! For my girls, there was an adjustment period to both the new routine and being away from me for so many hours of the day. This too shall pass....eventually.

4. Early to bed. In the summer - we're lazy about the kids bedtimes and they varry. But during the school year when we need to be on-time to class? We go to bed at 8pm - and we stick as closly to the clock as we can.

5. Discuss the school day over a snack. Once off the bus, I always ask my girls what the best part of their school day was. I cannot believe all the things I learn (both good and bad) about what goes on in their classroom and on the playground by simply asking the same question each and every day.

How about you? Do you have any advice to give to a family getting ready to start their (first) first day of school?

Read about the Chevy Traverse at #TraverseTested.

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:14 AM

So did my little girl : )

Quoting TerriC:

My girls really liked it.  :-)

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Aww, I think that's the book we used!

Quoting TerriC:

If I remember correctly, it was Kindergarten, Here I Come.

Quoting justins_momm292:

What is your book called?

Quoting TerriC:

We bought a book about Kindergarten to ease their fears.  It did seem to help a lot.  Also letting them help pack their lunch, made it easier for them to make healthier choices.

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I think your advice is great. Prepping the night before really does help cut down on stress!

ceciliam
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I would have offered the same advice! Great list!

slw123
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:11 PM

My kids are very relaxed about school. They weren't even nervous this year.

lalasmama2007
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Good advice!

sanj1213
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I'll be reading through all the answers lol

RobynS
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:12 PM

sounds like good advice to me! :)

copperswifey
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I just try to pump them up and try to get them excited about school :)

Charizma77
by Carissa on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Good advice

Miranda1127
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:34 PM

great advice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN