Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

my son is about to be 3 years and is about to finish speech tharapy and still isn't talking ??

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:18 PM
  • 38 Replies

hi my son is turning 3 years old next month and isn't talking ....he has been through sppech therapy and is going to be done with it the day of his birthday....he still isn't talking ...you can get him to say a word one time but you cant get him to say it again....but while he watches his cartoons he sounds like he singing along and he be talking along with the  chacters in the show like he saying what their saying but in babbling....sometimes he would say something clear like ah-oh ,,he says mamma and dada ..those where his first words....im getting so scared that he would never talk..he smart he does everything else but talk....i dont want people making fun of us and our son just because he isn't talking...we have a 5 month old son and he doing things early something his big brother didnt do...his big brother is a late bloomer which i hope he is just a late bloomer on talking...i just see other peoples kids his age or younger than him like by a year talking .....anybody going through the same thing as we are?!? sorry if i dont make sense :(

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mxcanapochamama
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I haven't dealt with anything like this, but if you feel concerned about your son I think you should try to get a new program for him. Im not sure if that would be an option, but I think you should speak to his doctor about your concerns and maybe he/she can help. Just my thoughts, hope someone else can be more helpful. 

MamìMexicana?

DissieDothe
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:14 PM

If your taking care of his every need, maybe he sees no reason to talk. And then too, we accept people who are quiet ... they were probably never talkers as little kids.

MikeysMom22
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:22 PM
4 moms liked this

I am being bold telling you this only because you have already had him in speech that you said ends when he is 3. You need to call your local school district and have your son evaluated. If he is delayed in speech and/or anything else they will do testing on him and he will get services for free. If he needs to be he can attend a preschool for special needs children or just speech therapy if that is all he needs. Call and ask them all kinds of questions that it sounds like you have.  Good luck mama, hope you  can get him the help he needs soon!!

jessi2girls
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:32 PM

if he's still not talking he should still be getting speech.. although he probably will have to move to a preschool version of the program.. 

my youngest, (2 1/2) is in speech because she was saying very little.. on january 1rst she'll switch from the early intervention to the prek/school aged programs..  she's made a lot of improvements through the program though..

I would talk to his pediatrician, get a referral and call your local school districts special education office to see about getting him back into a speech program. 

deboramomof2
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this

ya in the begining or august he was evaluated for the pre school program and i have to go to the meeting on 9/13 to see what they gonna put him in....i really hope this helps alot more ...i just want him to talk :(

Quoting jessi2girls:

if he's still not talking he should still be getting speech.. although he probably will have to move to a preschool version of the program.. 

my youngest, (2 1/2) is in speech because she was saying very little.. on january 1rst she'll switch from the early intervention to the prek/school aged programs..  she's made a lot of improvements through the program though..

I would talk to his pediatrician, get a referral and call your local school districts special education office to see about getting him back into a speech program. 

jessi2girls
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:22 AM

It's okay, it takes time.. do you feel the therapist isn't taking an approach your son may be more responding with?  or are you more worried that their may be something else hindering his speech?  And have you addressed either of these issues (if you feel they are issues) during the evaluation? 

Quoting deboramomof2:

ya in the begining or august he was evaluated for the pre school program and i have to go to the meeting on 9/13 to see what they gonna put him in....i really hope this helps alot more ...i just want him to talk :(

Quoting jessi2girls:

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Get him into pre school. My ds did months of st and ot and made almost no progress. When he turned three he transitioned into the preschool program through the district and with in a month or two he was speaking whole paragraphs and telling me stories. It was amazing! This was the kid that could barely string two words together before and only had about 50 words total. Now, at 5, he is completely caught up.
deboramomof2
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:32 AM

that sounds amazing :)..... i really hope that happens to my son :)

Quoting shadow_lark:

Get him into pre school. My ds did months of st and ot and made almost no progress. When he turned three he transitioned into the preschool program through the district and with in a month or two he was speaking whole paragraphs and telling me stories. It was amazing! This was the kid that could barely string two words together before and only had about 50 words total. Now, at 5, he is completely caught up.

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Hopefully. Its nerve wracking wondering if he's ever going to talk and if there is anything you could have done to avoid it.

Quoting deboramomof2:

that sounds amazing :)..... i really hope that happens to my son :)

Quoting shadow_lark:

deboramomof2
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:39 AM

i keep telling them i think he doesnt have a good intension spain...they keep telling me he has good intetion spain....i dont know to me its really hard to keep his attention ...i dont want him to have trouble in school

Quoting jessi2girls:

It's okay, it takes time.. do you feel the therapist isn't taking an approach your son may be more responding with?  or are you more worried that their may be something else hindering his speech?  And have you addressed either of these issues (if you feel they are issues) during the evaluation? 

Quoting deboramomof2:

Quoting jessi2girls:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN