Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How do you feel about...?

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:54 PM
  • 27 Replies

Visible tattoos in the professional field? Say...a Head of a private school (principal), or lawyer and the such. Do you believe tattoos make them a lesser person or professional?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mxcanapochamama
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this

It depends on the tattoo, if its tasteful and not offensive,  then.... who cares its their body LOL  

But if its something like a naked girl or a nasty looking something tat, than it really has no business being shown in a professional work area. 

MamìMexicana?

SlapItHigh
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:33 AM

It doesn't matter to me but I think it can look unprofessional. 

rachellaree20
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:09 AM

It depends a lot on the tattoo.  Also the amount of tattoos. I think a couple tasteful tattoos shouldn't detract from someone being seen as professional but lots of tattoos or trashy ones definitely can.

MonicaP76
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Hey I figure if they got where the wanted in life with having visible tattoos then good for them. A lot of folks don't.  Most of mine are in places that can be covered, and I personally feel, like its a good thing to place them in a coverable place, if you want to "make it" in the world. But deep down kudos to those who made it with their tats hanging out!

my husband has piercings, the only one he has to remove for his job is his septum piercing. His tattoos can be covered with a shirt. He wouldn't have the job he has today if his ink was visible, but for the most part, that's the world we live in.

as far as working in a school around children, as long as they tasteful. I have a tattoo of a topless vampire on my back, any time I enter my children's school I make sure I'm wearing clothing that covers it up, because I don't feel it would be appropriate for it to be hanging out in a school setting. None of the other PTO members would ever guess I'm an undercover freak...lol

Amala650
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Nah i dont think so.Now adays there is always a new stuff to cover up a tatoos.I have seen in lots of videos where they cover up the tatoos with some makeup.

want10more
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 4:14 AM

lesser person? no. less professional LOOKING? yeah a lil bit. tho doesn't mean they are NOT professional. if my school principal has a tat on his/her neck saying "only God will judge me" yeah i'd be a lil freaked out. but most tats? even those slightly questionable? well........ they might have gotten them while still young, and i couldn't judge anyone by a lil skin ink. HOWEVER, i'd advice a young person that wants a tat, to put it in an area that could be covered up.

MichelleMc
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Lesser person, not at all. Less professional, yes. I think that they should be able to be covered. They should be able to walk into a courtroom, exam room, etc and they be covered up. Otherwise, it doesn't matter. 

Otherwise, I see you out somewhere & you have them, cool. My husband has many. He has only one that would show & you would have to look a few times to figure out it is a tattoo & he could get a wide ring to cover it. It is his wedding ring tattoo'ed because of his current profession it is too dangerous to wear a regular ring. 

Michelle, Body Combat Addict 
Proud Mom of Jonathan, Army Soldier and Eagle & Vigil Scout
Proud Navy Submarine Vet WifeTo Jake

Join us in the  Pennsylvania Moms group.

freemane
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 8:56 AM
I get picky about tattoos. Not because I dislike them or find them unprofessional, but because so much of the art is lousy... I wish I wouldn't judge people for that, but any time anyone has a piece of bad art (tatoo, painting, sculpture, whatever) it does automatically influence my opinion of them.
Of course, when the art is good that influences me just as much...
Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this
This

Quoting mxcanapochamama:

It depends on the tattoo, if its tasteful and not offensive,  then.... who cares its their body LOL  

But if its something like a naked girl or a nasty looking something tat, than it really has no business being shown in a professional work area. 

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

They don't bother me. I have a bunch of tattoos.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)