Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Readers, I need some help!! Please =)

Posted by   + Show Post

My mom just retired and she's bored already. She loves to read, her favorite author is Danielle Steel. She just got the newest book and read it in a day, so she's says to me she needs a similar author to read. Any suggestions?

reading

by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Replies (11-20):
goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 25, 2013 at 7:15 PM

You've been a great help. Thank you so much! I can't wait to get my mom some of these books. I'm sure she'll enjoy them.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Nora Roberts..hands down the best author. I prefer her over Steele personally, but if your mom likes Steele, she will most likely love Nora Roberts. She has a million books and she has a new trilogy coming out in October. <---can't wait!! 

I would recommend the MacGregor series.( they make me laugh every time I read them) There are about 10-12 books in that series alone...she has a quartet about wedding planners, and several trilogies as well. 

I also read historical romances and really like Stephanie Laurens. She has a series called The Cynsters and there are 21 books in it thus far with more to come. I just finished the newest one and it was great. 

Of course, you can't go wrong with the classics either : To Kill A Mockingbird is my absolute favorite book ever... as is Much Ado About Nothing by Shakespeare. 

I'm a book nerd. LOL 

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 25, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Thank you! Adding him to the list =)

Quoting celestegood:

Women's murderer club series by James Patterson is good!

celestegood
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 7:17 PM
And you should suggest she get a library card. Its like bookworm heaven!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 25, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Good idea. My dd loves going to the library maybe I can pick my mom up on the way. It'll save money too, instead of buying every book. Thanks!

Quoting celestegood:

And you should suggest she get a library card. Its like bookworm heaven!

Janet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Nora Roberts, although I haven't read. I have heard.

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Thanks. She's at the top of the list =)

Quoting Janet:

Nora Roberts, although I haven't read. I have heard.

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I don't care for Steele myself but if she wants a good read with a great story and characters you actually care about, she should read Judith McNaught. Her historicals are unparalleled and her contemporaries are good. If she does read her contemps, I will caution you about Double Standards, it is the only one that is truly 'dated'.

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Thank you. Will definitely add her to the growing list, she's bound to find a few authors she'll enjoy =)

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

I don't care for Steele myself but if she wants a good read with a great story and characters you actually care about, she should read Judith McNaught. Her historicals are unparalleled and her contemporaries are good. If she does read her contemps, I will caution you about Double Standards, it is the only one that is truly 'dated'.

sissy502
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I like Jeanette Oak

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:49 PM

That's a new name, Thank you!!

Quoting sissy502:

I like Jeanette Oak

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN