Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tips For Lowering The Stress Of A Campus Move

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 51 Replies

While my youngest two children started school this week in Kindergarten and Second grade; my oldest child starts his first day of classes this week as a college student.

AAAAAHHHHHH!!!

We moved him into college last week and we were lucky to have been given advice from my friends and family who made that move before us. Tips to help us stay calm, organized, and relatively stress-free while moving our child into campus housing.

1. Label all containers with name and room number. This is a GREAT tip because most schools have a group of volunteer students helping outside dorms to move newbies in. They can't be expected to remember every room number everyone tells them, so make their life easier by putting the name and the number on the box/bag/basket for them.

2. Don't worry about being the first one in the building. There will be plenty of people TRYING to get there first because it feels like that's what you're supposed to do. But if you want an hour or two after the “start” time the crowd thins a bit AND you can walk down the halls and see the open doors of rooms and see how they've moved furniture around.

3. By cheap towels. Cheap towels are thinner and therefore dry faster when hung on the hook in the dorm room.

4. Keep a running list of things you need/forgot. You won't remember or think of everything. Every dorm is different so some things you just won't realize you want/need until you get moved in. This is OKAY, just keep track of it all so that if you have to make survival kit to send of things you forgot, you will hopefully only have to send ONE.

5. Make sure you have remotes/cables/batteries for all electronics. A TV does no good without way to get the “free” cable provided with the room.

6. Don't spend too much time decorating for your child unless they ask you to. Chances are, they'll move it all and redo it 20 times the first week of school once they see how everyone else decorates and arranges their room.

7. Take tons of pictures. Even if your child begs you not to. You only get to do this once, they'll be glad later you documented it. But, maybe try to be discreet about it.

8. Get a rug. The majority of dorm floors are cold and concrete. Even if there is some sort of “carpet” it is probably not soft or comfortable.

9. Look into all of the ways your child's school connects via social media. It's nice to know what events are happening on campus from Twitter and Facebook because your child probably won't call you as much as you'd like and it will help you feel a little connected.

10. Take a deep breath. It's overwhelming logistically and emotionally, but it happens very fast. Try to savor it if you can.

Have you moved a child into campus housing? Do you have any tips to share?

Read about the Chevy Traverse at #TraverseTested

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I am not there yet, but great tips.  Ones to remember!

dusky_rose
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:27 PM

These are some great tips! My oldest son is moving into a dorm in the fall. I wish I could be there to help, but his dad will be there I'm sure (he lives with his dad).

Janet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Mine went to a local college. Those are great tip. Thanks for sharing.
lalasmama2007
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Good tips, but my dd is only 6.

countrygirlkat
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 3:35 PM

My kids are still very young and not near college age but I already dread the thought of them goign away.  My tips from when I was in college though is to get there early so that they can pick their bed first and not feel rushed, lol.

funhappymom
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:41 PM

My kids are far from there yet.

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I can't wait for this day to arrive. Good tips!

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Not there yet

sukainah
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I could have used this when I moved to college! LOL...my kids are not close to college age yet.

Madelaine
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Great tips!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)