Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Should He Be Charged in the Death of a 2 Year Old?

Toddler Accidentally Kills 2-Year-Old Sister With Pickup Truck In Every Parent’s Nightmare

by Kiri Blakeley

It's difficult enough keeping track of our kids every minute to make sure they don't hurt or kill themselves -- but it's astonishing to think you could turn your back for a minute, and your toddler could kill someone else! This is tragically what happened to a family in Texas. And even more tragically, the person the 4-year-old boy accidentally killed was his sister. It all started when the boy somehow got ahold of the keys to his father's pickup truck. He was actually able to start the truck and then roll it. It rolled over his 2-year-old sister. And now she's dead.

There's a lot here that says maybe the kids weren't being watched as properly as they should have been. How does a toddler get keys to a truck? How does he find the time to start the truck? How was his little sister in front of the truck?!

But before we get all judgmental, think about the last time your toddler got away from you. Could he or she have done something in the blink of an eye that cost a life?

If you look at where the truck is parked in pictures, it's in a yard. The truck had rolled forward, hitting a wall. The sibling was apparently playing in the yard.

The truck wasn't even normally there. It was normally parked in a garage, but the family was loading it up for a trip, so it was backed up to the side of the house.

It's unclear where the keys were, but the truck was off. The father said he heard the engine start up and ran outside, to see the toddler behind the wheel and the truck rolling. Unfortunately, it was rolling to the worst place it could have -- right towards his sister.

This isn't the first time we've heard of a toddler taking over the wheel of a truck. Apparently they are pretty smart, these toddlers. But not smart enough to steer.

The investigation is ongoing, so police won't say if the parents will be charged.

But I think they've been penalized enough. This was obviously a tragic mistake. YES. There should have been more oversight of these kids, of course!

But to put them both in jail will only leave an orphaned child. One who already will have a tragedy to live with.

Do you think the father should be charged?

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Replies (21-30):
mimimom139
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Absolutely not! It was an accident and this family has suffered enough! My condolenses to this family. My thoughts are with them.

sspicoley
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Tragic accident.
DanaG70
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:04 AM

It was clearly an accident, the family will have to live with it for the rest of their lives. I don't think anybody should be charged.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM
No the dad shouldn't be charged. He is already paying the price I'm sure.
othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM

That is so sad. I do think that there was neglect involved since the child was able to get the keys and get the truck started. Why was the little girl in front of the truck and who was supposed to be watching the kids? My kids are allowed out in the yard alone, it is fenced in. I check on them often. If we are out of the fence they are allowed out. They have never tried to start one of the cars or even get in them with out us. They have been taught to stay away from them.

I don't think there should be charges filed, atleast not jail time. Parenting classes and counsling for the parents and the child

RysGram
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:36 PM
How heartbreaking :( Kids can get into mischief in the blink of an eye. I'm sure these parents & the brother are already going through Hell. I hope they put their son in counseling & NEVER blame him, as that could do serious damage to him. I think this poor family has already been through enough. Let them grieve for their baby & try to help their son through this tragedy.
lazyd
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Sadly, Yes, i do believe SOMEONE needs to be charged!  This is NEGLECT!  Yes, sometimes our toddlers run away from us, BUT shouldnt the keys to the truck been in someones POCKET?!  NOT lying on the counter or in the truck or wherever they were that ENABLED the boy to get the keys.  PLUS the younger sister shouldnt have been outside unless there was an adult standing right next to her so someone could have pushed her out of the way of the truck.  This was NOT one where you let your toddler outside and she was running toward the truck because a toddler decided to take off, this toddler was standing next to the truck unsupervised so she got ran over!

lazyd
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Than this is more of "neglect" in my eyes, cuz if this family (doesnt matter if you dont have money or not to fix your vehicle) KNEW about this problem and didnt fix the truck than this defect or mechanical problem could have happened ANYWHERE - like driving down the street - so maybe others might have been killed (yes, im getting out of line and drastic here), so than someone needs to be charged with something!  Maybe not jail time, but probation?  fines?

Quoting HIJKLM:

Was it defective or was it a mechanical problem that wasn't fixed? That could be a major law suit

Quoting Ladybugemt:

From experience in a family that has had something similar happen to the emotional pain is enough. He will never forgive him self... I say that he shouldn't be charged... And I also agree we dnt know the full story

*eta*

I just went to read the story (it happened near me) the family is saying the truck was defective and could be started in first gear...

Ladybugemt
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:38 PM
They said defective and that the family had not had it fixed yet

Quoting HIJKLM:

Was it defective or was it a mechanical problem that wasn't fixed? That could be a major law suit

Quoting Ladybugemt:

From experience in a family that has had something similar happen to the emotional pain is enough. He will never forgive him self... I say that he shouldn't be charged... And I also agree we dnt know the full story

*eta*

I just went to read the story (it happened near me) the family is saying the truck was defective and could be started in first gear...
MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:32 PM
Punishment, no. But I wonder if he could be given the opportunity to film a public service announcement to educate other parents.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)