Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

The Back to School 'Sick Kit" Every Mom Needs

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:08 AM
  • 8 Replies

The Back to School 'Sick Kit" Every Mom Needs

by Ericka Sóuter 

runny noseBack to school time brings on a lot of things: homework, extra-curricular activities, and plenty of infectious illnesses. You know the ones -- nasty colds, flus, stomach bugs. The most prepared moms are well ahead of the diagnoses and have every thing they need to get their kid on the road to feeling better. You can too. Take a look at the perfect "sick kit." It's everything you should keep on hand for those inevitable ailments.

1. A vapor rub This will quickly relieve a stuffy nose.
  2. Fever reducer Some children respond best to ibuprofen, while acetaminophen works well for others. Keep both on hand.
  3. Saline nose spray or drops I have a mommy friend who swears by this. She uses it on her child every day and says that is why he never gets a cold.
  4. Fever gel pads Much less messy than a wet rag to the forehead. And they come is such cool, kid-friendly designs.
  5. Honey To soothe irritated throats.
  6. Popsicles When a fever has your child grumpy and sweating, this treat is a nice cool down.
  7. Vitamins A daily vitamin could be one of your best defenses against all the cold germs that will be passed around on every doorknob, monkey bar, and swing. 
  8. A good thermometer. My personal favorite is the one that takes the temp via the ear. It can easily be done while your child sleeps. 
  9. Medicine dropper If your son is anything like mind, he runs as soon as he sees that little medicine cup. A dropper is much easier to get the medicine actually in his mouth without a lot of spillage.
  10. Humidifier When that first cold your flu hits, you will need this. You don't want to have to call friends and neighbors in the middle of the night in search of one to borrow.

What other items should be in a mom's "sick kit?"

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Janet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Gatorade to help them stay hydrated.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Oh and Ginger Ail if their nauseaed.

othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM

games or quiet time things for the kids, gatorade or something to help them stay hydrated

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Tylenol for the Moms

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:44 PM

lots of kleenex, pain killers, and cold, cough meds.

MilfordMomma
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:11 PM

A bottle of wine???

Just kidding. Maybe some books or other quiet activities for the kids to do while relaxing in bed. Soup! I always have little homemade frozen soup in Tupperware containers ready to defrost. Those face masks to chill and put on the eyes. My oldest (only four!) gets bad migraines and the face masks help. Hot chocolate/tea, Saltines, a heating pad for sore tummies (only for the older kids).. Hmm there's probably more that I can't think of at the moment!

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:43 PM

We freeze gatorade and pedia light  and make ice pops

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Great idea....we've been through a mild case of back to school sniffles.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN