Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Maybe they need better role models!

Posted by   + Show Post

All the internet is a buzz with Miley Cyrus' antics last night at the VMAs. I have seen people post about how inappropriate and out there her performance was. People have been talking about how she was half naked and the way she danced.

A few celebs tweeted that their young kids could no longer be fans of hers etc..

My thoughts...it was MTV not the Disney channel, what did you expect. Since leaving Disney a few years ago, she has been 'controversial' and constantly in the spotlight for choices that aren't so Disney like. People expect her to be the squeaky clean Disney persona and obviously she is not that.

For all those who are up in arms about her being a bad role model for their daughters..maybe they should teach their daughters not to look up to celebrities but to their own mothers, grandmothers, aunts, family friends, teachers etc... People who can actually make a positive impact on their lives.

Do you think people are upset for no reason or should she be held to a higher standard because she is seen as a role model? 

(This goes for any celebrity)

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Replies (11-17):
Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:16 AM
I don't have tv :) I have no clue what your talking about. Well i do know Mileys been trouble since she started wearing risque clothes IMO! I don't have a dd. I have a niece and we all encourage cartoons to be role models if it isn't someone like family or a historical figure. Cartoons never age. Take Ash Ketchum from Pokemon. Shouldn't he be like 25 or something? Nope he's still 11 (he did have a birthday party waaaayyyyy back when in Kanto, so since he started at 10 he had to be 11 on his bday a year later). I don't remember Arthur ever passing on into 4th grade even after 10 seasons. Those are good role models.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DanaG70
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I finally broke down and watched the video, I don't see it any worse than what Madonna or her irk have done through the years.

That being said, I have always thought that kids need to be taught what is appopriate and what isn't, having a star as a role model is not it.

MichelleMc
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I think that singers & movie stars, etc. shouldn't be role models to begin with. Most times they aren't real, they play to what they are, what do they do to be a role model? Sing? Dance? Act? Throw/catch a ball? Unless their true actions allot them to be a role model, we should be looking at what our children are looking at as role models. You can like someones songs, but to say that they look up to them, there should be a reason they do! If they aren't someone they should be looking up to, then we are parents should be guiding that & changing that. 

splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I didn't watch it. I'm not sure why anyone would have considered her a role model recently even before the performance. She fell off the role model bandwagon awhile ago. 

adi29
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:07 PM
She shouldn't be a role model nor should any other famous people. Teach your kids to not follow in someone's footsteps. Be parents and stop blaming others for what your kids do and act
LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Aug. 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I think that as soon as she started shaving her head and talking about doing drugs, parents should have gotten a clue.

Did I like her performance? Not one bit! I thought it was tacky and distasteful. However, I am not all up in arms.

JTE11
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I think it would be nice if celebrities realized that lots of people have misplaced role models and for whatever reason look up to them instead of real people in their own lives or at least people who matter, but that's not going to happen. I think the majority of celebrities are going to do what it takes to keep themselves in the camera, in the news, in the tabloids even, because even bad press is press. I think it's useless to hope celebrities will be more responsible, I just think kids need to choose better role models.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)