Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Would you be upset or offended?

Posted by   + Show Post

My kids are in a local playgroup. It is a pretty decent size and we have all been meeting for about a year. Saturday evening I received a call from one of the moms. She was upset because apparently another mom handed out birthday party invitations for her child to some of the moms. The mom that called me didn't get one and since it was news to me, I obviously didn't get one either.

She was so upset and offended that her daughter didn't get one and expected me to feel the same. While I don't think it was good form to hand out invitations to a select few with uninvited moms/kids there, I don't think she should be obligated to invite everyone if she doesn't want to either.

As an adult, I understand that not everyone is going to be invited to everything all the time. Yes it is disappointing to children but honestly, you cannot shelter children from disappointment their whole lives. That in my opinion leads to entitled children and there are enough entitled children already running around.

Would you be upset or offended if your child was excluded from a party for a child that they had spent every Saturday with for a year? 

Do you think everyone in the playgroup should have been included?

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Replies (11-20):
rhiannonaisling
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I would be upset for my child but not upset or offended in my own right.

countrygirlkat
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I don't think it was good for her to hand them out in the actual playgroup since not everybody was invited but I feel she should be more then welcome to choose who she wants to invite and who she does not. 

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:50 AM
I think it was bad form, but they don't have to invite everyone.
luvnature
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I was never offended if my kids were excluded to anything their friends were having. the only time I get offended about such things is when it comes from family friends we have known for many years. but casual friends you only see once in a while, there is really nothing to be offended. but the mother should have been a little more discreet with her invitations and hand them out in private. 

JenniferMiller0
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:13 PM

If this were me, I would be more sad that my child would miss out on the fun of a party. I wouldn't be offended though.

EbonySnow
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I think the invites should have been handled privately and not in play group, but she doesn't have to invite everyone

Christmaslver68
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:28 PM

she may have limited space or limited budget as to why she only invited a certain few, but she should have handed them out privately if she was only going to invite certain ones from the group, maybe pull the Mom aside and ask her why only a certain few were invited.  Myself I'd just leave it alone but I am used to this type of treatment and my children get it all the time also.  communicate with the Mom

splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I wouldn't be offended. If they really don't want my child at their party I don't want my child to be there. 

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I would think everyone should have been included but would not worry...

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I would only be upset if my dd knew she was excluded and kept asking why. Otherwise I could care less.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)