Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Remembering the Beginning: A School Year Time Capsule

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 53 Replies

The back-to-school photos have started to flood my Instagram stream over the past week, part of me wants to respond "Yawn, my kid's been back since July 31st." while the other part of me is a little disappointed in myself that I don't take this whole "documenting the first day" as seriously as my friends (or at all if I'm being honest.) 

Come the end of the school year there will be a whole new set of "last day of whatever grade" photos, side by side with the photos taken this week. Sometimes there's chalkboards with witty notes or artistic renditions of grade years and ages. I'm going to let you down now and say you won't be seeing any of those photos online (or anywhere) from me.

Addie's school does a really cool thing where at the beginning of each school year they have every child fill out a form with simple questions like favorite food, favorite animal, favorite part of school, a little narrative essay on themselves and a self portrait. Not only does it document their handwriting at the beginning of a new school year, it captures all their excitement and energy of a fresh start with new friends.

The teachers hold onto them all year and upon the start of the next school year they pass them on to the students' new teachers. I can always count on the previous year's time capsule coming home sometime during the first week of school. To me it's even more interesting to see how much her handwrting has changed, what about her has stayed the same and just how far her skills as a writer and artist have come.  As I tuck them away for safe keeping, I also tuck away a photo or two of her during the school year, because I do take them, I just always forget on the big day. SO MUCH PRESSURE!

Have you ever done anything like a time capsule for your kids with each new school year?

Read about the Chevy Traverse at #TraverseTested

by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I take pictures, and I keep school work from grade to grade so I see her handwriting. But never did a time capsule.

sukainah
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I didn't do a time capsule.  What a good idea!

Madelaine
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Good ideas!

jessicasmom1
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:36 AM

good idea

Kmakksmom
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:37 PM
We take first day of school pics, and we started taking a pic of our youngest with his teacher this year. We will also be buying Oh, The Places You'll Go by Dr Seuss sometime this year, and will have his teachers all write something to him at the end of each school year. (I found that idea on Pinterest, lol). I just wish we saw that idea when our oldest was just beginning school.

We haven't ever done a time capsule.
virginiamama71
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:06 PM

No but this looks interesting.

alf2651
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:11 PM

That's a good idea!!

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

countrygirlkat
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:43 PM

That sounds like fun.  I don't do a capsule but I do keep things throughout the year to put in a memory box for them.

aneela
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 4:11 PM

i havent done as much as others but i am trying to have a few things each year ..he just started 1st grade

johnny4ever
Happy 11th Birthday Daniel!!!
Yesterday at 7:30 AM
by Mrs. Depp on Sep. 1, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I take pics!I also keep and frame his artwork

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)