Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Bus Reunions: The Best Part of My Day

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 52 Replies

There are a lot of unique benefits to having my kids more than six years apart in age, one of them being that each one has had their own time as an only child. For more than half the year Addie is at school during the day leaving Vivi and me to wander around our lives as a pair, just like Addie and I did in her toddler years. However, Addie has the added benefit of coming home to two people who are excited to see her, and our daily bus stop reunions are proof that two is more fun than one when it comes to the bus stop.

When I was younger I walked to my granny's house everyday after school, I'm still a little mad I was never able to ride a school bus in all my years of elementary and high school. I was always jealous of the kids who got to go home to their moms, cookies, and hugs. Now, I'm sure the percentage of kids who actually went home to moms, cookies and hugs was MUCH smaller than what I had in my eight year old brain, but I still had an ideal, one I wanted to fufill with my own kids. 

This school year I have plans to make the daily bus stop a bit more of a party with a little help from Vivi. I plan to have Vivi dressed up as Addie gets off the bus on Halloween, holding a bunch of balloons on her birthday and holding a special treat after major third grade test days. Perhaps I'll even look into witty posters or kazoos for Addie's grand exit from bus #17 each day. Imagine if I could get a whole parade of people to welcome her home on a particularly special day, it wouldn't be that difficult, and knowing her, she'd feel like a million bucks.

Seeing the two of them reunite with shrieks and squeals as though they haven't seen each other for years is always one of the best, most rewarding parts of my day. During the day when Addie isn't around, Vivi screams at every school bus, certain that it is the one holding her sister. 

While I can't make everyday more amazing than the last when it comes to coming home from school each day, I have plans to make a few days more special than others, hopefully creating new memories and givng Addie ideas as to what her own ideal would be with her family in the future.

How have you made coming home from school special for your kids?

Read about the Chevy Traverse at #TraverseTested

by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I pick my dd up at school, 1 of my favorite parts of the day is seeing her walk down the hallway towards me at the end of the day. Every Friday we go get ice cream.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Its always exciting to see them get off the bus smiling, all happy to be home.
jes_eli_0710
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Unfortunately I dont pick my daughter up from school or the bus stop anymore. I work for an after-school program at a community center and so my son is at the daycare while I work and my daughter gets picked up and dropped off to the program. I am looking into making the end of my work day fun. we get to go home after a long day and settle in. Im looking for ways to incorporate some family time during the week once we get home besides only on the weekends.
sukainah
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Those are cute ideas!  I didn't do that for when my first son took the bus to pre-k.  I just greeted him him the baby.  Now the baby is in pre-k but I pick him up at school because I have to pick up my oldest at school too.  But he takes the bus to school.  I think when they are older they ride the bus to middle school and high school.  So I may have to plan age appropriate things LOL

Madelaine
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Exciting!

Kmakksmom
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:33 PM
They know they can have a snack and just chill for an hour before tackling their homework.
virginiamama71
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I have not been able to be home when he gets off from school cause I am at work. Next year he is going to middle school so I will make his first week special by hopefully taking off work that week.

countrygirlkat
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:50 PM

This year I ride my bike to pick up the kids at school.  Last year though when my oldest rode the bus sometimes I would bring the dog or a wagon or something.

aneela
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 4:09 PM

very fun ideas...im sure she will love them!!

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Sep. 1, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I have treats for my son 1 day out of the week after he gets off the bus

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)