Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Some Activities Can Wait

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 50 Replies

WIth September comes an onslaught of committments and obligations. School is back in session, the kids have their lessns and extra-curricular activities, and any committments that you and your spouse have made in the adult realm of life. Everything hits at once and it can be so very overwhelming.

Some obligations have to happen in September because they just do. Your kids need to attend school. You need to work. Your piano teacher will only take you on if you start in September. Hockey practice starts on the first Tuesday of September (our kids aren't in hockey, but I know that's what happens).

Here's the thing that saved us from going completely over the edge: Push anything and everything that you can to October or November. There is no reason for everything to start in September. Take the pressure off of yourselves so you don't throw up your hands and walk away from everything.

My kids don't do swimming lessons until the second session in mid-October. We enrolled our daughter in dance class a month late, for reduced fees, and she still led her group in the recital. My husband and I don;t join anything extra until October or later, aside from the "regular" committments. Our church has embraced this mentality as well, so the kids' clubs for both boys and girls don't start until October.

All of the above to say that it's okay to say wait. It's also okay to say no. Don't sacrifice the sanity of your family because of a committment may very well be inconsequential a year from now.

How do you balance fall activities? Do you jump in with both feet, or do you space things out? Or maybe bow out of joining anything at all?

Read about the Chevy Traverse at #TraverseTested

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Last year I bowed out of everything, this year though I'm back in the game. We do space things out, no one wants to be too busy lol.

CurlyJenn
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:30 AM

We jump in head first.  From one extreme (lazy days of summer) to the other (busy days of September).  Although we don't have the kids in too many activites, it feels like jumping in head first.

elasmimi
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Unfortunately, the two activities we signed up for are on the same day. Girl Scouts from 3:30 til 4:30, then soccer practice at 5:45. Luckily no homework on Thursdays, and we will just make it a dinner on the road day.

sukainah
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:43 AM

The only thing my son is in is Cub Scouts.  I won't allow more as it will be too much.  But now that my other son is in Pre-K, there may be more activities I'll have to attend.

Madelaine
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I try to space things out or it is too overwhelming.

jessicasmom1
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I give her space ... to much goes on in our life

Kmakksmom
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Our kids each get a choice of what they'd like to do for a year starting in August.
countrygirlkat
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:40 PM

We try to pace ourselves and space activities out throughout the year.

virginiamama71
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:11 PM

My son just does one activity at a time. This fall it is travel soccer. Seeing the schedule has already worn me out. Practice twice a week for almost 2 hours than travelling to some games over an hour away from home.

I am looking forward to November when it ends.

aneela
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 4:12 PM

thats a good attitude...just cause everyone else is doing it now...doesnt mean you have to

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)