Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

1st birthday gift ideas

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM
  • 27 Replies
DS is turning one October 1st. I have absolutely no clue what to get him. He has toys, but since he's almost walking he doesn't play with them. Instead, he likes to cruise the house and fiddle with other things. I have a few toys that haven't been open because they weren't age appropriate quite yet but will be soon. Any ideas? This is my first and I've only ever bought for my niece.
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HeatherJ501
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Bump
HeatherJ501
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Bump
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Clothes. And wrap each item seperately. At that age they have tons of fun just tearing the paper off and playing with it.
arwalters
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:26 PM
I like to do something meaningful as gifts that they can appreciate forever, an engraved piggy bank or taking him to a toddler art class for a day and saving the project. Also a gift that can be useful and fun for his fist bday, one of the things I got ds for his was picnic table that also turns into an art easel, he used it for yrs. I also got him a really nice growth chart. Fun dishes and clothes were cool gifts we got at his party, and in also got him a fun bedding set. He is my first and the only one I can have so I went all out. Looking back I wouldn't have spent so much on his first. Now that he's 4 there is a lot more he is into, would love to get him big Lego and play dough sets now that he'll really enjoy them (and not eat them, lol) so his bday and Christmas can't come fast enough! I wouldn't stress to much about a 1st bday gift being something they are into, more important that it be something useful. Like a PP said, they have more fun opening the present and playing with the paper
Pammi86
by Pamela on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:39 PM

We got my dd a water table when she turned one but then again she was born in May lol!

JTE11
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this

My DD got this at her first birthday and STILL plays with it every day at 2.5 years. We have it in her bed so that if she gets up at night she can fiddle around with it until she goes back to sleep. She loves this toy...

Cause and effect toys are great at this age. The pop-up toy where they work buttons and knobs and little animals pop up is a good one:

The toys can be put on a chair or on the couch and a child can stand at the couch to play with them while cruising around.

And as always, there are books. I like the First 100 words book for one-year-olds:

DD loved that book and wore it out to the point that I had to tape it back together. Happy shopping. ;)

splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I would go with toys he can enjoy now but also grow into. Little People are a lot of fun at that age. Or one of those walker/ride on type things. 

splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:28 PM

My oldest had an older version of this & played with it from 13 months - at least 4. When he first got it he used the Little People cars. Then as he got older he used hotwheels on it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)