Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would anyone have concerns about your child's classmate having gay parents?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:46 PM
  • 254 Replies

So there is a child in my four year old daughter's preschool class that happens to have two moms. No big deal. I'm very supportive gay rights and the LGBT community. Heck, I wish I was attracted to women - seems a lot easier than dealing with men LOL! (just kidding)

My daughter never asked anything about it. She has grown up knowing that families are all different and I honestly don't think it even occured to her to think it was weird. The most she has said about them was, "Amanda (name changed) is so lucky she has two moms!" 

One mom (who've I've chatted with occasionally at pick-up) called me today and expressing her concern about her daughter knowing that her friend has two moms. Apparently her daughter and Amanda were fighting over whether or not women can get married. The teacher stepped in and said that yes, a woman can marry a woman or man, and a man can marry a woman or a man. The mom was FURIOUS when her daughter came home excited that she could marry a girl because "boys are gross and girls are pretty". 

Can you believe this? Would anyone have concerns about your child's classmate having gay parents?

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
skcissom
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:43 AM
17 moms liked this

Absolutely not. I want to teach my boys that regardless of what people around them think, we should be tolerant of everyone. I really wish people would pull their heads out of their asses and get with the times. SMH

MichelleMc
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:51 AM
7 moms liked this

It is sad that this is still such an issue. The mother needs to get over it & realize this is a great time to say wait, let me start to teach my child it is okay now. 

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting skcissom:

Absolutely not. I want to teach my boys that regardless of what people around them think, we should be tolerant of everyone. I really wish people would pull their heads out of their asses and get with the times. SMH

Exactly!

redbutterfly666
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I would have no issues with it at all
emsmom21
by Danielle on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this
No not at all. My daughter has a classmate this year who has two moms.
gilbertgrl627
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:06 AM
2 moms liked this

Well, I certainly wouldn't, but I'm sure that there are others who would. 

SlapItHigh
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:32 AM
28 moms liked this
I would be fine with a child from a same-sex family being in the class but I would not be ok with the way this was handled. I would certainly correct my child when she stated someone else was lucky to have two moms instead of a mom and a dad. How damaging to the child to be raised to think so poorly of dads. A chick who does not grow up with a mom and dad is missing aomething significant. This new trendy attitude pretends that there is no value in mothering or fathering. And that you could just have either or and you are good...or even "lucky". If we want to raise our children in a healthy way, we have a lot of work to do as parents to help our children navigate in a world with a new subjective moral code. Chances are things will change much more over the next few decades. We have to decide if we want an ever changing society to determine our children's morals or some objective truth.
SlapItHigh
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Child, not chick.
cupcake_mom
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:38 AM
2 moms liked this
I wouldn't care one bit. We have a few gay and lesbians in my family so we don't see anything wrong with it
goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't care at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)