Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Would anyone have concerns about your child's classmate having gay parents?

Posted by   + Show Post

So there is a child in my four year old daughter's preschool class that happens to have two moms. No big deal. I'm very supportive gay rights and the LGBT community. Heck, I wish I was attracted to women - seems a lot easier than dealing with men LOL! (just kidding)

My daughter never asked anything about it. She has grown up knowing that families are all different and I honestly don't think it even occured to her to think it was weird. The most she has said about them was, "Amanda (name changed) is so lucky she has two moms!" 

One mom (who've I've chatted with occasionally at pick-up) called me today and expressing her concern about her daughter knowing that her friend has two moms. Apparently her daughter and Amanda were fighting over whether or not women can get married. The teacher stepped in and said that yes, a woman can marry a woman or man, and a man can marry a woman or a man. The mom was FURIOUS when her daughter came home excited that she could marry a girl because "boys are gross and girls are pretty". 

Can you believe this? Would anyone have concerns about your child's classmate having gay parents?

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Replies (251-254):
AngelSinger
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:29 AM

I would have no problem with it whatsoever. 

AngelSinger
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Would you rather the teacher have lied to the children?

Quoting ClaribelC:

It may be legal where you are but not in my state. And Call me when you can me conservative but i dont appreciate the teachers comment at all!

Koreejean
by New Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I would not care. I would use it to teach my child to be tolerant of everyone no matter what others might think. And that just because  some one is not exactly like you that it is okay

macysmom13
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I find it ironic that so many people in this discussion say that we need to be open-minded, but as soon as anyone expresses an opinion that they do not agree with, they attack them. If you want people to be open-minded about your opinions, you have to return the same courtesy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN