Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Simplifying School Uniforms

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 53 Replies

School is in session and both my girls wear uniforms in the classroom. And while I thought I would hate the hall monitoring fashion police, I actually love just how much school uniforms have simplified our lives.

The mornings are easier because we always know what we’re going to wear, and I spend less money on their clothing in general because once we purchase our uniforms in the fall, we’re less tempted to impulse buy each and every time we go to the store.

So yes, uniforms are “easy”, but if you have a large family such as myself (two girls, two boys) there are a few tips and tricks I’ve learned to get the most wear out of our pieces:

1. Stock up on hard to find items such as tights and belts. Depending on if my girls are wearing a pair of pants or a skirt to school, their uniform must include a belt or a pair of tights. My girls also put holes in their tights after just a few wears, and can for some reason never find their belt. I’ve come to buying tights and belts in almost comical amounts - as certain times of the year they are almost impossible to find in the stores.

2. Unisex shirts. I have two girls and two boys. School shirts do come in gender specific cuts, and also unisex cuts. Even though my girls are in school and my boys are still at home - I always buy the unisex shirts. Next year when my son starts kindergarten - I’ll be passing my daughters unisex shirts down to him.

3. A pair of school shoes for every occasion. While my kids can wear any closed toe shoe they want - every back to school season I let them pick out a new pair that will be THE ONE pair they wear every day. A pair that is acceptable on the playground, perfect for PE, and can easily be put on (and taken off) on their own.

4. Let them personalized with accessories. Uniforms can be a drag for the fashion conscious 3rd grader- and that’s why I let my girls have (reasonable) free reign over their backpacks, lunch boxes, and hair accessories.

How about you - do your children wear uniforms to school? Have any tips for keeping back to school fashion simple?

Read about the Chevy Traverse at #TraverseTested

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4kidz916
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Our school doesn't use uniforms.  I'm not sure I would like them.  I like for the kids to be able to express themselves through fashion. 

Shani527
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:33 AM
We do uniforms and we love it. As for pp who said she likes her kids to express themselves through fashion.....weekends and after school are perfect for that.

I do all that. I usually buy the shirts from the school. They are unisex i have a boy in k and a girl in 1st. Skirts, shorts, they are not required to wear tights if wearing skirt or jumper dress, but if they do it has to be red, navy or white. They have a pair or school shoes and a pair of home shoes and flip flops. On fridays they have spirit fay where they can wear blue jeans snd the spirit shirt. t
sukainah
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I think uniforms would be easier, but we don't have uniforms at the school my kids go to.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:33 AM

No uniforms for the kids' schools, but I'd prefer if there were.

lalasmama2007
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:53 AM

My DD's school doesn't require uniforms and I'm happy about that.

MichelleK41
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Ours do not wear uniforms but these are great tips for those that do. =)

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:05 PM

No uniforms here.

elasmimi
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM

We have a resale shop for uniforms at our school, and when I find some in good condition I  snatch them up, even in the next size.

dusky_rose
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM

My children have never worn uniforms. With my youngest son, we just get short sleeve or long sleeve shirts and jeans or jean shorts. Then we do the layering thing for warmth if needed.

countrygirlkat
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Mine do not wear uniforms although in some ways I wish they did, lol.  They are fairly simple dressers anyway though as they mostly want jeans and t-shirts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)