Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

18 years ago this weekend...(reminiscing)

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:52 AM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

I made one of the hardest, but ultimately best, decisions of my life. I chose to walk away from a "man" I thought I loved. All because I was 2 months pregnant & he felt we were too young to be parents (I just turned 20 years old & he was only 19). I had packed everything I owned to move from Ohio to Kansas to be with this guy. 18 years ago this weekend I flew from Kansas to Ohio for a visit & told my parents when I went back to Kansas I was packing my stuff & moving back home within a matter of 2 months. They agreed to take the 15 hour drive out there so they could help me move back (I didn't have a car then). I did not tell them I was pregnant at that time.

It took me another month to tell then- via a letter I mailed home when I went back. Even though he had no clue I would be leaving him- my ex didn't greet me at the airport. I had to call a good friend of his to come get me. The airport was in Kansas City, MO- we lived in Topeka, KS. So it was a good 3 hour drive to the airport & then another 3 back. 

While I was home over Labor Day weekend I ran into my high school best guy friend. I cried on his shoulder & told him he was right about the guy I was leaving. He was pissed. He wanted to kill the guy. Two months later, when I moved back home, best guy friend was there for me. He cried with me, told me he would be there for me, & that he loved me. 

It just amazes me how much my life has changed over the past 18 years. That best guy friend & I got married 3 years after my DS was born. We were together for 13 years after that, had 4 more kids together. Now, my DS is 17 & 1/2 years old, a senior in high school, a leader in the youth group, plays on the Varsity soccer team for the school, & has a girlfriend who we adore & have known since they were both 4 years old.

God was definitely been good to us & we can not deny the great things He has done in our lives. Leaving my DS's father may have been the hardest thing to do for me at that time- but it certainly was the best.

by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:44 PM
That is awesome
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Thanks for sharing.
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Sep. 1, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Nice!

c_ramirez8606
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:47 AM

That's an amazing story. I'm happy you walked away from the wrong guy. It gave you the chance to find the right guy.

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM

That's great!! Good for you =)

CampClan
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Eh- he wasn't the right guy either. We ended up divorced after 13 years of marriage & 4 more kids. But he was the right guy to have more kids with. I think our kids are pretty darn awesome & who knows- they may not have turned out like that with someone else's genes. LOL

Quoting c_ramirez8606:

That's an amazing story. I'm happy you walked away from the wrong guy. It gave you the chance to find the right guy.

LadyMarissa
by New Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I've been there also.  What I initially perceived as the worst day of my life lead me to the BEST thing that ever happened in my life!!! 

Isn't it a WONDERFUL feeling???

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 1, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I think often times some of the hardest things we have to go through end up being the best things for us in the long run. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)