Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Volunteer At Your Kids School (If You Can)

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 57 Replies

Many families require that both parents work. Ours is one of those families. I spent a few years working in an office -- and hated it -- but now I am self-employed and work my own hours. I do some contract accounting work, both from home and at clients' office, and I also hold a few freelance writing jobs. Self-employment has the benefit of being flexible, for the most part, and so this past year I was able to volunteer at my kids' school again.

Helping first graders with their journals is an amazing experience. So is joining your son's fourth grade class on an all-day bike trip or helping your other son's class on their track and field trip. I have so many memories with each of my kids that I wouldn't have if I were working 9-5 in an office. Volunteering means that some nights I have to work in order to meet deadlines, but it's worth it. So worth it.

In addition to having these extra memories with my kids, I have gotten to know their teachers and friends really well. These are the people they spend the bulk of their day with and you know what? They're pretty great people. I love, too, how some of the other kids know me so well that they'll tackle-hug me when they see me. And I love being able to text photos of my friends' kids to them when they're working or at home wrangling babies.

Do you volunteer at your kids' school? What do you love/hate about it?

Read about the Chevy Traverse at #TraverseTested

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bob192
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I do things at home for the teachers.  I think it would be a lot of fun, because you would know more about what goes on at school!

TerriC
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:11 AM

I do not.  The original reason is because my youngest would cling to me and cry so I was actlly asked not to volunteer for things she would be involved with.  Now, I have a few friends that have volunteered and said they never would again.  Too much drama. 

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Yes and I love it

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Last year I was in office on Mondays and library on Wednesdays

LancesMom
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Actually I did for a couple years, then ended up working for them in the office and other areas.

lwalker270
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I do and really enjoy it.  

momma2b2008
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:52 AM
I hope to find time this year to help out in her class room. It's going to be hard because when she is in school so am I. I'm sure there will be time at least I hope so!
la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Yes, I do volunteer

Leelee1008
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I used to at their old school, I loved it. They also did alot more for the kids and for the parents to be able to volunteer, the new one they built, they dont do nearly as much as they used to at the other school.

.OnTheRoadAgain
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I am lucky enough to be able to office from home a couple of days a week, so I have a bit of flexibility as well. I do volunteer at my kids school. Mostly I help with classroom tasks and field trips.

I think the only thing I dont like to deal with is the fundraisers. I don't like to deal with the money aspect of things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN