Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you handle the chaos that comes with getting back into the school routine?

Posted by   + Show Post

The Back to School season is among us and that means lot of running around and juggling multiple responsibilities & hectic schedules.  

Getting the kids to school, shuffling them to after school activities & recreational sports, house chores, last minute errands... the list goes on and on.

We gave 20 moms of CafeMom a $100 American Express gift card to go shopping for any of their last minute Back to School needs.  We asked them to tell us what they bought but also to share their thoughts on staying connected with the kids, keeping their kids safe and more.

How do you handle the chaos that comes with getting back into the school routine?

busy mom         school bus

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Replies (101-105):
abecee
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Tranquilizers

Kalic0
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:00 AM
I am currently a SAHM of two ( will probably be going back to work soon). I wake up at 5:00 am so I can get a shower. After I dress and gather what is needed for my son's lunch, I go wake the kids up. Then I get their outfits together and get them out of bed. After that is breakfast, dressing and outfitting for the bus. I always feel rushed. But, once they are on the bus, I feel better. My oldest is 7, but due to his ASD cannot dress completely by himself, nor is he potty trained completely. He has dietary restrictions and is picky about food (its all about texture for him)so he has to take a packed lunch. My youngest, 4, can mostly dress herself, but she still wants me to help her. She has wanted "to go to school" for two years now and is in 4K. It is both a relief (I finally have time completely for myself) and more work. But she loves it, so it's all good.
MamaMoopsie
by Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:01 AM

We start prepping a week in advance. We get back to that firm bedtime, not that we really stray that far from it during the summer, but we also get up like we would during the school week and practice our morning routine. It allows me time to see if I need to give us extra time in the morning or not.

We get used to that first and then from there we just take it a day at a time. We buy all their school supplies as soon as the supplies lists are put out by the schools. If we can continue using the previous year's back pack, we do, but if it is too beat up or tattered we get a new one.

It's really not too chaotic for us.

Ripleylady
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I'm a nanny of about 20 years.  Raised my own 2 sons too.  Here is what I've had the most success with.  No breakfast or cartoons till dressed.  Clothes are laid out waiting.  I make the lunches the day before and they are by the front door as-are the back packs with completed homework and any signed permission slips etc.  Cartoons while eating breakfast.  Timer set to go off ten minutes before must be walking out the door to the car.  Timer goes off, TV goes off.  Teeth brushed and hair combed in kitchen to save time; no running all the way upstairs and temptation to grab a toy or just mess in room.  Shoes are by door as-is coats. 

heather77g
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:52 AM

One day at a time is how we do it as well. I usually keep the entire week planned out for us as much as possible. During the weekend I make sure everything is ready for the week. (Soccer practice / games, cheer practice / games)  That way everything is ready to go on the day we need them. 

Then the night before we make sure everything is layed out and ready to go for the next day. (This is the only way I know to prepare myself and my three children for our daily activities)  

Plus with me going to school online and working full time, it gets extremely mind boggling.. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)