Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How do you handle the chaos that comes with getting back into the school routine?

Posted by   + Show Post

The Back to School season is among us and that means lot of running around and juggling multiple responsibilities & hectic schedules.  

Getting the kids to school, shuffling them to after school activities & recreational sports, house chores, last minute errands... the list goes on and on.

We gave 20 moms of CafeMom a $100 American Express gift card to go shopping for any of their last minute Back to School needs.  We asked them to tell us what they bought but also to share their thoughts on staying connected with the kids, keeping their kids safe and more.

How do you handle the chaos that comes with getting back into the school routine?

busy mom         school bus

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Replies (21-30):
ceciliam
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I prepare as much as I can a head of time and really avoid chaos.

LancesMom
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM

We planned well ahead. With the teacher, the bus driver and even the neighbors.

Getting things ready early, getting lists and schedules early, contacting the neighborhood watch, because of long walks to busses.

bamababe1975
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:59 AM

We established a routine years ago and now it's pretty easy to readjust to the school routine whenever school begins. They've now been back in school for almost a month, so we're pretty set now.

arpazia
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:26 PM
So do we:)

Quoting ceciliam:

I prepare as much as I can a head of time and really avoid chaos.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dusky_rose
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I agree with handling it one day at a time. Do what you need to that day and start the new day fresh. Write important stuff on a calendar or put it in your phone, so that it doesn't get forgotten. Write lists if necessary and cross off the things you did get done, because it helps you stay on track and you feel a sense of accomplishment when you cross items off the list. Prepare as much as you can the day before. I lay out my son's clothes, put important stuff in his backpack and pack his lunch most of the way, so there isn't so much to do in the morning.

matt_sara_mom
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:43 PM

One day at a time, routines are important in our home so they are kept year round. Lunch at the same time, school work at the same time, ect.

elasmimi
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Thank goodness for uniforms! Cuts the what to wear question completely out, which means less chaos, especially with a girl.

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Sticking to a routine, keeping everything in the same spots and taking it one day at a time!

dommad2
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM

So on September 6th I spent 3 hours typing and perfecting my post for the Traverse Influencer assignment, and apparently did not post it. So here's my hours of work, sadly 3 days late.

Hi, my name is Tamara. I am a 30 year old SAHM of two kids. I have also been married for 5 years to my husband Josh. We have one son and one daughter. Domenick is 10 and in 5th grade. Madelynn is 6 and in 1st. They are both very outgoing active kids.

Domenick is in advanced classes, he plays the tenor sax, he runs cross country, he takes STEM classes at the library, and he dances Hip-hop at our local studio.

Madelynn is also a dancer. She takes Tap, Jazz, and ballet at the same studio.

Between my two kids and the three I nanny during the day I live in my van! We head out at 8:15am to drive Maddy to school and go to our morning activity. We make it home by 10:00am, have lunch at 11:00am, and then the other kids get dropped off at school at 1:00pm.

This is when I get a three hour break from the kids but not my car. I get thehouse cleaned and all of my errands run just in time to get back for Domenick. We get homework and chores done and then hit the road again. This is everyday and I live off of it!

I was so thrilled to be selected for the program and did a little dance when my gift card came in the mail on Tuesday the 4th. I sat down with my husband that night to plan out when I would do the shopping. Wednesday night was out because of dance class, Thursday night out due to choir practice, and we were going our of town for the weekend in celebration of our sixth wedding anniversary!

Then Josh came up with a "brilliant" plan! I could go Thursday during the day because the kids were off of school! (This is when you can tell he wasn't volunteering to go himself...) It was a great plan though because whats more authentic than me with all four kids!?!

However well laid out the plan though, life always changes things. Domenick came home from school on Wednesday, at 3:15. and did not bring the shoes he needed for dance. The school was closed so.....off to the store we ran!

We made it to Payless and picked out new gym shoes JUST in enough time to run back home, pick up Maddy, and get to dance on time. One crisis over and another in the wings!

Surprisingly shopping Thursday went very smoothly!

We got Domenick 4 pairs of jeans, 2 T-Shirst, 4 Button ups, his dance sneakers, and a Hoody.

Maddy got 2 dresses, 2 Skirts, 2 Shirts, and a pair of knee high boots!

I am posting a ton of pictures from our trips!

Thank you so much CafeMom and Chevy Traverse!

jen113000
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I just relax. Get what we need slowly and go from there. Honestly I haven't encountered too much chaos about back to school yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN