Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How do you handle the chaos that comes with getting back into the school routine?

Posted by   + Show Post

The Back to School season is among us and that means lot of running around and juggling multiple responsibilities & hectic schedules.  

Getting the kids to school, shuffling them to after school activities & recreational sports, house chores, last minute errands... the list goes on and on.

We gave 20 moms of CafeMom a $100 American Express gift card to go shopping for any of their last minute Back to School needs.  We asked them to tell us what they bought but also to share their thoughts on staying connected with the kids, keeping their kids safe and more.

How do you handle the chaos that comes with getting back into the school routine?

busy mom         school bus

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Replies (81-90):
aneela
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:17 PM

yep....def very useful tool

Quoting Miranda1127:

Calendars, calendars, calendars. My biggest challenge is keeping the schedule straight. So I enter every activity into my phone as soon as I get it (the calendar is on the first page of my phone and the first thing I see several times a day). I also log things on our giant activity calendar on our activity wall. In addition to that I have a regular sized school calendar on our memo wall and I make sure dd is keeping her school calendar in her room updated. Now that she is in middle school I have made it a point to stress the importance of her being responsible for giving me adequate notice of her upcoming activities as well as preparing herself for them.

.Angelica.
by Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:51 PM

thanks. me too.

Quoting aneela:

hope all will go well

Quoting .Angelica.:

this is my first time on the parent side of back to school. lol. we are doing online school, but he will attend classes two days a week. those start monday. we'll see how it goes...

lalasmama2007
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:53 PM

This is what we do...

Quoting Madelaine:

Have clothes laid out the night before

lalasmama2007
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Nice haul =)

Quoting kgmmw:

Mobile Photo

Hello ;) I'm Kimberly. I live in Ky. I have four kids ages 8,7,5 and a 2 wk old. My dd is in the third grade,ds is in the second grade, and my 5 yr old ds is in kindergarten.

In our household we are very busy. With a newborn I am busy throughout the day while the kids are at school but once the kids get home it's total chaos. Although they aren't in activities just yet, we are busy doing homework, eating dinner, baths, story time and bed. We always get school clothes and book bags out at night time to make the mornings a little easier.

We started back to school shopping a little before school started but didn't buy too much. On our shopping trip we got clothes for each kid in school. We found lots of great end of summer deals. The kids really enjoyed picking out new clothes. Here is a picture of all the great clothes we got.

lalasmama2007
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Cute backpack!

Quoting drhair:

My name is Grace and I have two children. My son is nine and in the fourth my daughter is seven in the second grade. We just recently moved to Alpharetta, Georgia and we love it. Coming from New Jersey our children ended their school year in late June and they started their school year here in the middle of August. It was a short summer for them so I had a very chaotic summer but nothing helps more then a steady ROUTINE. 

After school activities are keeping us very busy my daughter dances three days a week and my son just joined baseball so we are always on the go. Snacks have to be ready and dinner always has to be between 5 and 6pm so that everyone is ready for bed at 9pm. If we feed them too early they will be hungry before dinner and they will need a snack and that annoying...lol Everything has its time and day. I also do grocery shopping on certains days a and I try to also work out 4 days a week. So in the end what is my secret to avoid the craziness?? A schedules Routine! 

Here is a pic of the items I bought to get ready for this school year....notebooks, crayons, backpacks and SNACKS!!

lalasmama2007
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Great pics!  Thanks for sharing!

Quoting DaMama16:

OMG! Chaos is sooo the right word for what we've experienced the last few days! :)  Hi my name is Alex and I'm the proud mom of 2 beautiful kids, my DD Leilani, will be 9 next week and just started 4th grade.  My DS, Cruz, will be 3 in October and was just introduced to the world of pre-school after having been taken care of at home by a sitter.

We're still trying to get it together. The kids go to different schools, which are in opposite directions of each other.  We live in Secaucus, NJ.  I'm a full time working mom and my DH is a Police Officer with crazy hours.  We don't have a very large support system near us but somehow we'll make it work!

There are a couple of things that have been key to keeping on top of things but the most important is COMMUNICATION!   The DH used to play HS & College Football and I'm a Project Manager by trade so we're constantly running through the "plan" for each day (who's doing what in the morning, who's taking who to school, who's doing pickups in the evening, who's covering books, what paperwork needs to get filled out, who's cooking dinner, etc. etc.)  It's also important to communicate with our kids.  I love to take advantage of the 1 on 1 time I have with my daugther when driving her to school in the morning.  It helps me learn how things are going at school, learn about her teachers and friends and any important upcoming dates/projects.  She's growing up so fast and it's nice to have some special mommy/daughter time.

The other thing we rely on to keep it together is TECHNOLOGY.  The DH and I used a free calendar to schedule all types of things that have an impact on the family.  This way we don't forget anything.  Our daughter's school sends updates through a Honeywell System which sends us emails, voicemails and text messages.  Our son's pre-school uses a software called Tadpole to provide us with daily updates on how he's doing with naps, food and potty breaks.  It's amazing what you can do these days to stay organized and in the know.

As much as I like to brag about how organized I can be, I've definitely been a little behind on a lot of things.  I was so happy to be a part of this program.  The $100 gift card couldn't have come at a better time. I ran out to finish up all the pesky back to school errands like buying my DS some more clothes, a book bag and lunch box (forgot he needed that stuff).  I was also able to get my DD some school supplies, an adorable lunch box and some much needed undershirts.  Check out the cute pics of them below :)

I'm hoping we'll have our "routine" together soon! But until then... WISH US WELL!!! HAHAHAHA

kgmmw
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Thanks ;) I think we did good

Quoting lalasmama2007:

Nice haul =)

Quoting kgmmw:

Mobile Photo

Hello ;) I'm Kimberly. I live in Ky. I have four kids ages 8,7,5 and a 2 wk old. My dd is in the third grade,ds is in the second grade, and my 5 yr old ds is in kindergarten.

In our household we are very busy. With a newborn I am busy throughout the day while the kids are at school but once the kids get home it's total chaos. Although they aren't in activities just yet, we are busy doing homework, eating dinner, baths, story time and bed. We always get school clothes and book bags out at night time to make the mornings a little easier.

We started back to school shopping a little before school started but didn't buy too much. On our shopping trip we got clothes for each kid in school. We found lots of great end of summer deals. The kids really enjoyed picking out new clothes. Here is a picture of all the great clothes we got.

mrswillie
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this
One day at a time is great advice.

Quoting Hottmomma607:

Just one day at a time!

We try to have things together the night before. Papers signed,backpacks packed&ready,clothes picked out,shoes by the door! Sounds perfect doesn't it? LOL They started last Tuesday,they went back today and I see my son at 6:30am in pj's*sigh*bus comes at 6:45! Yikes! The start of chaos. lol So one day at a time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 7:33 AM
You're probably well organized to. Lol

Quoting Kmakksmom:

Even though we have 5 kids who go to 4 different schools, our lives aren't chaotic. We are a pretty chill family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 7:36 AM
Looks like you all had fun.

Quoting dommad2:

So on September 6th I spent 3 hours typing and perfecting my post for the Traverse Influencer assignment, and apparently did not post it. So here's my hours of work, sadly 3 days late.

Hi, my name is Tamara. I am a 30 year old SAHM of two kids. I have also been married for 5 years to my husband Josh. We have one son and one daughter. Domenick is 10 and in 5th grade. Madelynn is 6 and in 1st. They are both very outgoing active kids.

Domenick is in advanced classes, he plays the tenor sax, he runs cross country, he takes STEM classes at the library, and he dances Hip-hop at our local studio.

Madelynn is also a dancer. She takes Tap, Jazz, and ballet at the same studio.

Between my two kids and the three I nanny during the day I live in my van! We head out at 8:15am to drive Maddy to school and go to our morning activity. We make it home by 10:00am, have lunch at 11:00am, and then the other kids get dropped off at school at 1:00pm.

This is when I get a three hour break from the kids but not my car. I get thehouse cleaned and all of my errands run just in time to get back for Domenick. We get homework and chores done and then hit the road again. This is everyday and I live off of it!

I was so thrilled to be selected for the program and did a little dance when my gift card came in the mail on Tuesday the 4th. I sat down with my husband that night to plan out when I would do the shopping. Wednesday night was out because of dance class, Thursday night out due to choir practice, and we were going our of town for the weekend in celebration of our sixth wedding anniversary!

Then Josh came up with a "brilliant" plan! I could go Thursday during the day because the kids were off of school! (This is when you can tell he wasn't volunteering to go himself...) It was a great plan though because whats more authentic than me with all four kids!?!

However well laid out the plan though, life always changes things. Domenick came home from school on Wednesday, at 3:15. and did not bring the shoes he needed for dance. The school was closed so.....off to the store we ran!

We made it to Payless and picked out new gym shoes JUST in enough time to run back home, pick up Maddy, and get to dance on time. One crisis over and another in the wings!

Surprisingly shopping Thursday went very smoothly!

We got Domenick 4 pairs of jeans, 2 T-Shirst, 4 Button ups, his dance sneakers, and a Hoody.

Maddy got 2 dresses, 2 Skirts, 2 Shirts, and a pair of knee high boots!

I am posting a ton of pictures from our trips!

Thank you so much CafeMom and Chevy Traverse!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN