Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Sometimes I wish I could move far far away.

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:33 PM
  • 20 Replies

Lol. Not only because i live in SA Texas and its hot but because I can't stand people, family/friends, who give me that WTF look when I tell them I plan to adopt older kids and even be a foster parent  later on in my life. Typical questions/comments include:

"Why? Can't you have kids?"

"Oh yea! I hear you get a lot of money for being a foster parent." 

"aren't those kids weird? Troubled? Messed up? Sick?"

"So....you want the kids from bad places?"

"Like one from Africa?"

"Isn't it expensive to adopt?"

I've learned over the years just to keep my mouth shut. Especially if its people I could care less about. I've actually stopped talking to the girl who said that foster parents make a lot of money. I cross my heart I never knew that until she said that, and after I looked it up locally, it only made me more pissed of. 

So ladies, anyone have adopted kids? Want to adopt? Foster? Anything =)) 

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dcn2010
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:49 AM

BUMP!

Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:52 AM
I always wanted to adopt older kids when I was older. But I doubt on a single moms income they will let me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
johnny4ever
Hiking!
Today at 10:55 AM
by Mrs. Depp on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this

hugs

preacherskid
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Our daycare directors are fosters.  Right now they have two teen boys and a baby boy in addition to their adopted son.  It is a lot of work, the older boys are from troubled homes, but they love it :)

Janet
by Ruby Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I think it's wonderful you want to adopt older kids! Those poor kids hardly ever get adopted. They need a home they can call their own. So many people are in it just for the money. They treat the kids bad. It's just a messed up system.
Janet
by Ruby Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM
I think it's wonderful you want to adopt older kids! Those poor kids hardly ever get adopted. They need a home they can call their own. So many people are in it just for the money. They treat the kids bad. It's just a messed up system.
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Hugs....I have not ever adopted/fostered...but if you can truly help children, I think it is a great thing:)

luzianagurl
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

i think it's awesome too..good luck  :) have often thought about it but ended up with a houseful of blended family soooo...nuff kids over here LOL

thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sure you would still get that anywhere you lived. BTW, is that a good vacation spot? Weighing our options for next year, LOL. We're up in the Texas panhandle.

We have thought about the possibility of adopting, but nothing concrete yet. It won't be before we fix up this house and sell it though. Part of me would want to adopt a baby, but another part of me would want to adopt a child that was close to my son's age, just so they could play together.

SMInProgress
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I've volunteered at quite a few shelters here & orphanages abroad & what I've seen in different countries,  even here, would break even hardasses like dick cheney's heart.  I think it is commendable & honorable you are doing this. If there were more intuitive mothers like you in the world, it would be a much better place :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)