Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Fun Friday: A Childhood Tradition

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 53 Replies
1 mom liked this

Most Fridays, Vivi and I wait at the bus stop in the car, ready to whisk Addie away on a grand adventure as soon as she steps foot off the bus. Sometimes the grand adventure is ice cream cones while other times it's a favorite park. Growing up I knew that every Friday was a grand adventure day with my favorite aunt and I looked forward to them more than any other day or event during the week.

My Aunt Cheryl was in a wheelchair, paralyzed from the neck down, but it never once stopped her from doing fun stuff with me. She lived in the basement of my grandma's house, the house I walked to everyday after school. My school always let out early on Friday, leaving the entire afternoon free to do whatever we pleased. Some weeks Cheryl would arrange for the paratransit bus to come pick us up and take us to the mall downtown. Other weeks we would go to the library and check out books about Japanese paper art or wild cats. The very best weeks were the Fridays we went to the hospital just down the street from her house to have lunch in the cafeteria. 

Perhaps that's why I don't have a negative connotation with hospitals? Some of my very best afternoons were spent eating cheeseburgers and iceburg lettuce salads with my most favorite aunt in a hospital cafeteria. I've even taken my kids to the local hospital cafeteria for lunch, there's something for everyone, there's always free parking and it's affordable! Plus there's a gift shop, eight year old me loved the gift shop.

It really doesn't matter what you do with your kids, as long as you do it. Maybe you plan a weekly trip to the library or pick a special recipe to make together after school on Friday. A sort of celebration for making it thorugh the week and in anticipation of the weekend. Fridays seem to be the favorite day of the week for a lot of people, and thanks to my aunt, Fridays will always hold a special place in my memory.

Do you have a designated day of the week for special after school outings with your kids?

Read about the Chevy Traverse at #TraverseTested

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalasmama2007
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:23 AM

No, I'm a SAHM, so we just take things day by day.

celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Same here.

Quoting lalasmama2007:

No, I'm a SAHM, so we just take things day by day.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arpazia
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM
No.
That's a good idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sukainah
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:27 AM

No, we really don't.  But some Friday's we pick their dad up from work and all go out to eat.

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:39 AM
No
countrygirlkat
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:42 AM

That would be fun.  They just like Fridays because they don't have to do any homework that night, lol.

MichelleK41
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Yep normally its Fridays and its 1/2 price shakes.

dusky_rose
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Great idea! My son has Fridays off early, I think that I will let him play at the playground after school today.

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:04 PM

No, but it does sound like fun.

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Fridays I always take my dd to get ice cream then she spends the evening at her grandmas house. They have dinner together and go swimming.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)