Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

SIL is driving me crazy!!! Edit

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM
  • 8 Replies

Okay first off I do love my SIL to death she can be real sweet but she is also a know it all.  She's 22 and never had a kid but thinks it's okay to tell me how to raise mine just because she's babysat alot of children.  I mean she will go as far as to tell me I can't (and she uses the word can't) smack my childs hand when he touches something he shouldn't.  Or will try to discipline my ds before I've even had a chance to step in his direction.  She actually tried taking him to his room one day for timeout on something that wasn't a big deal.  I try not to loose my temper with her but she acts like he's her child instead of mine she even tried telling me one day that she was going to take him for the weekend.  She didn't ask she told me she would I of course told her no cause he had been running a fever earlier that day and she told me I can't keep him couped up all the time.  I don't I take him to the playground every day that I can if it's not to hot and he's not sick.  I kinda blew up on her the other day and feel kinda bad about it. But she had come over for a visit and when she was about to leave she grabbed my DS's hand and started walking to her car with him telling my DS to tell me bye.  I walked over grabbed my sons hand and told her that she needs to ask to take him that he is my son not hers and that she needs to stop acting like a know it all.  That attitude isn't just with my son but with everything she will come in and tell me something not done right like the way I cook dinner or she will try to help my DH with his math homework and he's really good at math he doesn't need the help her doing that is just a distraction.  I feel bad about going off on her but I'm really frustrated with how she act's.  Do you think I went to far?

EDIT: No she doesn't live with us she comes over alot cause we live close by and my DH and BIL are really close.  She is my BIL's wife not my DH's actual sister.

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:00 PM

These things are challenging to deal with....hope you can work things out later and maybe talk it out....

Janet
by Ruby Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I would apologize. Then sit down and have a talk with her.
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Does she live with you? Why is she around so much? I wouldn't put up with that for 2 seconds. I hate people like that and I'm not very tactful, they know I don't like them.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I wouldn't put up with that either.  What did she say when you told her all that?

Mrs.Thomason
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:56 PM

she got mad and walked off to her car driving away but I think she was crying to which is what made me feel bad.

Quoting MistressMinerva:

I wouldn't put up with that either.  What did she say when you told her all that?

BasketballMama8
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I think you should let a lot of this go. She seems EXTREMELY annoying but also seems like she just wants to be the best auntie she can be.  I dont think she knows she is overstepping at all or trying to diminish you based on what you wrote.  Tell her (nicely) that you "got this".  I say this because you all seem so close and this is not worth ruining that

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:59 PM

If it was me, I would be like oh well she will get over it. If anybody should apologize it should be her for trying to take him without asking and butting in when she shouldn't. That is just me.

Quoting Mrs.Thomason:

she got mad and walked off to her car driving away but I think she was crying to which is what made me feel bad.

Quoting MistressMinerva:

RighteousLove
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Inlaws are a real challenge. the messed up when you have no choice but to bite your tongue. it's tough. but if you feel bad about how far you went then appologize, but still never let them step over your boundaries. respect is mutual. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN