Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Help Kids Pack Their Lunches with a Lunch Making Station

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 53 Replies

Simplify your mornings by getting your kids involved in making and packing their own lunches.  Just a couple simple steps and they'll be out the door with a nutritious lunch in tow.

Kids as young as kindergarten and first grade can help make themselves a healthy lunch with a few simple preparationsSet up a couple spots in your kitchen where your child or children can easily access lunch supplies.  I have designated the lower shelf in the pantry with some simple lunch making supplies like individually wrapped hand wipes, napkins, and zip top bags.  Then I have four plastic trays that house simple food choices - applesauce, cereal bars, fruit cups, milk, crackers.  In the refrigerator I have sandwich supplies and fresh fruit and veggies that I've washed and prepped.  The freezer I store lunch box cold packs for cold lunch storage, string cheese, muffins, and yogurt.  I like to have a few choices so there's some variation in the lunches.  Give your children some guidance in what goes in the lunch and then let them choose.  For instance, in our house, a healthy lunch includes:

• milk or water
  • 2 fruits or veggies
  • cheese or yogurt
  • sandwich or muffin

How about you?  What do you do to make lunch making a little easier?   

Read about the Chevy Traverse at #TraverseTested

© iStockphoto (jabiru)

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:57 AM

My dd eats hot lunch every day so we don't pack anything. But before that started and during the summer when she goes to summer camp, I have things for her to pick from in the pantry on her shelf. I always have fruit in the fridge to pick from and salami and crackers or sandwiches to pick from as well.

GagaNTattooS
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:59 AM
I keep everyone out of my way...I don't understand how this is so difficult.... make a sandwich pack some other stuff done in 5 mins...
RobynS
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 8:42 AM

This would be great for DS, but DD takes forever making decisions. (she's still in pre-school, so it's not an issue for her yet anyway, but next year...)

RobynS
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 8:42 AM

that's pretty much what I do. ;)

Quoting GagaNTattooS:

I keep everyone out of my way...I don't understand how this is so difficult.... make a sandwich pack some other stuff done in 5 mins...

kellynh
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Great idea

alliesmom112
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I give her choices in the morning while she is eating breakfast and I am packing lunch for her and dh 

alliesmom112
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Quoting RobynS:

This would be great for DS, but DD takes forever making decisions. (she's still in pre-school, so it's not an issue for her yet anyway, but next year...)

My dd has trouble making decisions so instead of saying pick 2 veggies I ask her carrots or broccoli? grapes or apples? 

dusky_rose
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I ask my 6 year old son what he wants for lunch the next day and pack as much as I can the night before. Then when I get his breakfast ready, I can fill his juice container, grab the ice pack and have to ready to put in his baclpack after I bring him breakfast (he eats in the family room and we are trying to be quiet because daddy and grandpa are sleeping).

NearSeattleMom
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Great idea.  Wish I'd done that from the start!

norahsmommy
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:07 PM
I have 5 kids. I don't want 5 kids in the kitchen trashing the place while they make themselves a lunch for the day. I'd rather just set up the stuff, make it fast and get all the dang lunch boxes out of my dinky kitchen.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)