Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Celebrating Individuality In a Big Family

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 53 Replies

I grew up the oldest daughter of four girls. Four of us, born in just under six short years to a very exhausted set of parents. Us sisters handed down clothes, shared accessories and carpooled to school together. We oftentimes shared the same group of friends, and were teammates on the same high school swim team. We got mistaken for each other on almost daily, from friends and family (I’m looking at you, grandma) alike.

So when it came to school shopping for clothing items and supplies - individuality mattered - and thankfully my mother took recognition.

Fast forward 30 years later and my husband and I have become that very same set of exhausted parents. Four kids, less than seven years. Yes, I need a nap STAT. But even though life is completely hectic, I make every effort to acknowledge each child’s desire to become their own person, especially during the back-to-school season.

Recognizing individuality in a large family:

We go on a back-to-school shopping date. We reserve an evening on the calendar, and look forward to some one-on-one time together shopping for school supplies. After the supplies have been gathered, we hit up the local froyo shop and chit chat and dream about the coming school year.

Recognize their personal style. The endless choices in school supplies provide the perfect opportunity to let my kids child’s individuality and uniqueness shine! Even if it’s not my personal favorite, I love watching them select folders, backpacks and lunch bags adorned with their favorite characters.

Acknowledge that being in a large family can be hard. Sometimes my middle daughter struggles with being “heard” through all the family noise and chaos. Anytime I’m running errands on the weekends, I always take her with me as my sidekick. We go to the market, return library book, hit up garage sales. It’s become a cherished time of the week to catch up with just her to discuss her week in the classroom.

How about you? Do you ever struggle with making sure every child in the family feels special and unique?

Read about the Chevy Traverse at #TraverseTested.

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:44 AM
2 moms liked this

I do, they each have their own personality, likes and dislikes.  Each child should be treated as an individual.

Mom2jngnc
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I have 4 sons over 12 yrs (yes, all with the same husband... you'd be amazed how often we are asked that). 

My oldest LOVED his cartoon characters and now at 18 it seems every shirt I see him in advertises the fact that he's in the fire dept.. My 2nd oldest doesn't want a character on his shirt or within 10 miles of one. However, give him soccer jersery's for far away countries. My 3rd he rolls with it, he has a mix of this and that...... My 4th, well he's 5 so I can still dress him. 

I don't do shopping dates. I see clothing shopping like removing a band-aid, do it all at once.... and fast.... THe mall the kids prefer to go to is 45 min. away, and I can't afford the fuel to do that trip 4 times.

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I'm lucky, my dd's an only child.

arpazia
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:54 AM
I have just the one!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leelee1008
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:13 AM

they are treated as individuals. I spent one on one time with them.

lyranightshade
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:19 AM
I just have the two, but I make time for one on one "dates" with each son. They're so different; night and day! The youngest is usually attached to my hip, so my ods and I set aside time to play angry birds or read together daily and once in a while go run errands or eat at McDonald's together.
sukainah
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I don't have a big family,but I struggle to spend individual time with my 2 boys.  I get the chance, though, and spend a little time with them individually.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I grew up in a large family, and it was a problem for each child to feel unique.

TerriC
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Very important.  :-)

Quoting Leelee1008:

they are treated as individuals. I spent one on one time with them.

SlapItHigh
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:18 AM
I'm one of four and we were always all so different. So far, I have three living children and they are each so different. I don't do anything out of the ordinary to encourage that. We've always been into understanding our children through close bond and communication so tha we may be able to parent to the individual needs of each (and ourselves).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)