Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Create a Carpool Lane Survival Kit

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 53 Replies

I don’t even want to know how many hours I’ve logged over the past few school years waiting either in a school parking lot or carpool line. And once the chaotic school schedule kicks into full gear, our family vehicle becomes a bit of a home away from home for all of us. My abode on wheels - you might say.

I’ve learned the hard way that it’s super important to keep a well stocked “survival kit” in the back cargo space of the vehicle - filled to the brim with anything and everything a mom and her four kids (and of course their friends, we’re always carpooling) might need in a pinch.

Our “Carpool Lane” Survival Kit:

I started with an empty plastic container (but a cardboard box, reusable grocery bag, ect. would work as well) and thought about all the miscellaneous items we oftentimes need in the car - but have too frequently forgotten in the past.

A few items in my kit:

spare set of socks - for bounce houses/fitness club rules.

spare diapers/undies for the kids.

wet wipes - because there are 101 uses for a wet wipe.

snacks that won’t melt.

a couple of dollars + coins to feed the meter.

first aid stuff

compact umbrella/ice scraper

bubbles - good distraction if you have to wait somewhere extra long.

bottle of water.

sunscreen.

small garbage bags for miscellaneous trash and messes.

Obviously some of these items are seasonal, and I restock the kit every few weeks as I dig through and use up supplies. And it’s true, most of these items can be carried around in a large purse or diaper bag - but personally I don’t like to be weighed down each and every time I leave the house.

But this super simple carpool kit? She’s saved me so many times, and made all those hours spent in the car not so horrible.

How about you? Do you have a “survival kit” of sorts in your vehicle? What are a few items you never leave home without?

Read about the Chevy Traverse at #TraverseTested.

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:47 AM

We do.  We have an extra outfit for each kid (we check them periodically for sizes and season change), socks, shoes a bathing suit, beach towels.  First aid kit is always well stocked, a flash light, umbrella and those disposable rain slickers.

lalasmama2007
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:37 AM

We usually have loose change, sunscreen and Bandaids in the car.

Mom2jngnc
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:54 AM

My DH drives a 98 Suburban, and I drive an 06 Yukon XL. 
Two years ago at the state fair ripped apart the 11 Suburban. They shortened, took out a seat, and the cargo space was a JOKE.
The assocaite actually told me "you don't need to carry extra fluids for your car." and do I "need to keep all that stuff in my truck?"

Then I was told that I wasn't the "normal", hum really... I have 5 children living in my house...... K has 5 children, KM has 6 living at home, T has 5 children, big families are the normal around here!

In my truck: Sport Umbrella the $50 heavy duty stick a small soccer team under it variety; a small normal umbrella; 2 folding bag chairs; a set of hoodies for all (so thats 7); a blanket (or 2 or 3, this is Central NY); baby wipes; soccer ball; my 2 team bags (I coach a soccer team); my stack of reuseable bags; paper, pencils, bubbles, books, snacks, water bottles, etc...... 

Leelee1008
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:14 AM

good tips, but we dont car pool

sukainah
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:23 AM

We don't drive to far so we don't really have a survival kit.  These are good ideas, though.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Tissues,wipes, first aid kit

LancesMom
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:39 AM

No I didn't have it prepared ahead, but always made something up the night before if we had plans to do something.

dusky_rose
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I just bring a drink for each and we have granola bars in the back. Not sure what is meant by carpool lane. It makes me think of the freeway and we don't go there to go to school.

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Good tips, DH always makes sure we have plenty of water in the car

Kmakksmom
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:34 PM

We don't travel very far.  We have a little bag.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN