Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

increasing supply

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:31 AM
  • 110 Replies
What are some foods/supplements I can use to increase my milk supply? I dRink lots of water and try to pump between feedings, but am not able to get more that a couple ounces a day. Dh and I would like to have a date night, but I can't seem to pump enough for dd to have while with my parents and she went take formula. I tried it to get her to take her vitamin d drops and she just wasn't having it. Lol. Dh tried too.

Holy Crap I got featured! Lol. Thank you to everyone for all the wonderful advice. I don't plan on leaving her too long. We want to see a movie so just a couple hours. I will definitely try pumping in the am and while she's eating.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:43 AM

BUMP

Karopie_99
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:46 AM
4 moms liked this
I've heard fenugreek can help increase supply. Also a dark beer like guinness. When I was pregnant with my last baby, I had 1-3 beers a week (and oh so yummy!) And I was able to get 2-3 ounces per pump. Verses the .5-1ounce I was getting. I have a problem with milk production and tend to dry out at 2-3 months in. So I'm going to try fenugreek this time around when baby comes in about 6 weeks
nrouette
by New Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Lots of fenugreek tea, capsules, etc. You should smell like maple syrup, that's when you know you're getting enough. Pump between feedings, and nurse on-demand. Also, your local health-food store should carry a tincture, a liquid you take with a dropper, that has a blend of herbs to help boost milk supply!
cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM
I like the beer idea. Lol.

Quoting Karopie_99:

I've heard fenugreek can help increase supply. Also a dark beer like guinness. When I was pregnant with my last baby, I had 1-3 beers a week (and oh so yummy!) And I was able to get 2-3 ounces per pump. Verses the .5-1ounce I was getting. I have a problem with milk production and tend to dry out at 2-3 months in. So I'm going to try fenugreek this time around when baby comes in about 6 weeks

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Try pumping in the morning, either before she nurses or as she nurses- you pump one side, she gets the other.  You won't short her any milk doing that, and morning pumping has a better chance of success than trying to pump between feedings.  Also remember she only needs 1-1.5 ounces for every hour you plan to be gone, so if you plan on being gone five hours, leave five to seven ounces to be fed in two to three ounce portions. Supply boosters won't necessarily help your pump output, which is what you want to increase. 

Irish_mama_2011
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I love beer! Now I have an excuse to drink it! LOL That kind of makes me sound like an alcoholic. I can usually get a decent amount when I pump, at least 4 ounces, I have a Medela PIS. Does the beer still help after you have the baby? I tried fenugreek and it didn't help, but other people swear by it, have you tried barley?

Quoting Karopie_99:

justahousewife
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I used fenugreek with both kiddos. It makes you smell like maple syrup but I never had trouble pumping enough. 

alexsmomma06
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I used Mothers Milk Tea and it really worked well! I was like you and could never pump enough to be able to leave the baby for more than an hour. I started drinking it and I could pump 8-10oz in one sitting. It says you are supposed to drink 6cups a day but I only 3-4 and could tell a huge difference! I bought mine at a local herbal store but you can also buy it in bulk online.

Also, pumping first thing in the morning before they nurse will produce more. Don't skip feedings. The more she feeds or the more you pump, the more you will make!

Good Luck!

Mom_to_Lincoln
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

some people just don'trespond well to a pump it doesn't mean your supply is low. How old is the baby? sometimes if take a few months before the you milk supply is fully in. For now you might have to pump every few hours for about  20 min each time until you have enough pumped to leave for a bottle.

Randi02
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM
3 moms liked this

The best way to increase your supply is to nurse as often as possible. Pumps are not an indication of supply, at all. Average output is 0.5-2 ounces, from both breasts, per session. A couple of ounces a day is totally normal.

I get that you want a date night, but you can wait a little bit :) She only needs 1 ounce for every hour you're gone - a maximum of 3 ounces per bottle. How long are you planning on leaving her?
If she's exclusively breastfed, it doesn't sound like you have any issues with supply.

I never gave any of my kids vitamin d. Get her out in the sun for a few minutes every day, or supplement yourself if you're deficient.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN