Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom
What are some foods/supplements I can use to increase my milk supply? I dRink lots of water and try to pump between feedings, but am not able to get more that a couple ounces a day. Dh and I would like to have a date night, but I can't seem to pump enough for dd to have while with my parents and she went take formula. I tried it to get her to take her vitamin d drops and she just wasn't having it. Lol. Dh tried too.

Holy Crap I got featured! Lol. Thank you to everyone for all the wonderful advice. I don't plan on leaving her too long. We want to see a movie so just a couple hours. I will definitely try pumping in the am and while she's eating.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:31 AM
Replies (101-110):
rashmin
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:42 PM

When I was nursing, I swallowed 1/2 tsp of fenugreek like small pills and wow, in 2 days I was squirting milk!!!!  It was amazing. You can buy fenugreek at any South Asian store OR maybe, your local Whole Foods or health food store.  Good luck!

.Peaches.
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I used Fenugreek.

Yeah, I smelled like a short stack with syrup all the time, but there are worse things to smell like!

Fiendishlyevil
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I had the same issue when my DD hit a growth spurt and I wasn't making enough for her. Believe it or not, Starbucks Passion Lemonade Iced Tea (sweetened) did the trick. I drink a trenta sized cup of the stuff and within 24 hours my supply is increaced. It's a little expensive to do, but it gave me enough of a boost to get my body to realized I need to make more. I also ate a ton of oatmeal. I made them into cookies, ate the stuff by the bowl at every meal, the works. I suffered from engorgement after that. 

danityjo
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Ok. I have breast fed 3 children. 'Weening one now' I too went through a difficult time with one of them. These are my tried and true methods.
* BREWERS YEAST PILLS (like beer with no alcohol.
* MOTHERS MILK TEA
* HIGH IRON FOODS (pill will consipate you unless its live)
* YOGART (not the fake sugar ones either)
***Avoid****
- coffee and other caffeine (dehydration stops milk flow)
- fake sugar (aspertain, espartamain & sucrolose effect your blood in how it processes sugar it too is also a diharetic.
Above all you need to relax.
Stress is one of the main contributers to lack of milk flow.
Good luck -
jessie1973
by New Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:47 PM
I used Fenugreek too...my doctor wasn't thrilled cause they are always leary of natural supplents. The way I looked at it was it was better than Domprridone which is prescribed & has a lot of side effects.It does work but, you do stink like Maple syrup:) Good luck
mandanay
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Do you feed "on demand"? Nursing every time you little love cries is a great way to bring in some more. Listening to babies cry in public always made me let down too :/

Junebaby18
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Quoting DarkkStarr:

Self-express. After you feed her, hand express into bags and freeze it with the date & time that you did it. Nursing is all about supply & demand. If you completely empty each breast everytime and increase your water intake, you WILL increase the amount you produce. This really works, I did it for my youngest since I had to start traveling when she was 8 weeks old. The milk will keep frozen for up to 2 weeks without any harm to the quality.

Breastmilk can be frozen for up to 6 months in a regular freezer an up to a year in a deep freeze. WAY longer than a mere 2 weeks.

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/milkstorage/
artistic_kitty
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM

There is an herbal supliment called Fenugreek that is supposed to help increase supply. I have also heard if you drink root beer it may help. But more than likely you're not having a supply issue, you're having a pumping issue. Infants are much better at getting the milk from the breast than a pump. Perhaps the pump that you have just doesn't have enough power, or it may be that it's not stimulating the breast in the right way for you. I had the same issue. With my double medela pump I could barely get a drop, but with my cheep single hand pump I could get at least 3 - 4 ounces. Is there someone else you know that might have a different pump you can try? Hospitals usualy have rental programs.

Diane1223
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:12 AM
I am sorry but drinking beer during pregnancy is never a good idea. I would not drink but maybe 1 before pumping, and I might pump and dump, before nursing, or at least wait till the next day to nurse. Who told you that drinking beer to increase supply was a good idea? Sounds far fetched to me. :(

Quoting Irish_mama_2011:

I love beer! Now I have an excuse to drink it! LOL That kind of makes me sound like an alcoholic. I can usually get a decent amount when I pump, at least 4 ounces, I have a Medela PIS. Does the beer still help after you have the baby? I tried fenugreek and it didn't help, but other people swear by it, have you tried barley?

Quoting Karopie_99:

I've heard fenugreek can help increase supply. Also a dark beer like guinness. When I was pregnant with my last baby, I had 1-3 beers a week (and oh so yummy!) And I was able to get 2-3 ounces per pump. Verses the .5-1ounce I was getting. I have a problem with milk production and tend to dry out at 2-3 months in. So I'm going to try fenugreek this time around when baby comes in about 6 weeks

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Pump/feed on demand.
Continue to take your pre-natal vitamins.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)