Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Potty training issue

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:15 AM
  • 10 Replies

Hi Moms, my son is 3 and a half and we are working on the pupu training. He already pees in the toilet by himself but when it comes to pup he doesn't want to, he tells me later "Flush the Poop Mami"or he brings me a pull up when he isnt wearing one. Now he started a new school and he's constipated, not sure if its because he is embarrased of trying in fron of other children (they all line up for the toilet time) or the way they are training him but last night he started crying and saying it hurts... he doesn't speak much (other issue we are working on) so I wasn't able to know what the problem was.

We need help moms, what  are the do's and donts? Any advice?

Thank you

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Poor little guy. I don't know... I would try alot of praise and encouragement to try to go potty, treats,... Good luck.

Randi02
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:28 PM

How is his diet?

Get rid of the pull ups and diapers. IMO, he should have been completely trained before he started school. Can you pull him out for a while and focus on getting him out of diapers?

pendragon928
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Sounds like he is holding his feces in an effort to control his elimination.  That can cause constipation, you can try pushing juice (pear, white grape, or prune works best) to loosen his stools but if he's already complaining that it hurts you might want to try an over the counter pediatric glycerin suppository or Miralax which is a mix-in into water or juice, it dissolves completely and is tasteless and pediatrician recommended, this is also over the counter.  If he's not going on a regular basis and is holding his feces, constipation, if not addressed can lead to an impacted bowel which is painful and can be dangerous, if he hasn't had a bowel movement in the last 48 hours you need to consult with your pediatrician (nurse triage line if your clinic offers one) on the best way to get things moving.  Potty training for boys is often a control issue, he will do it when he's ready with encouragement and praise.  Rewards work well too.  Potty training can be very stressfull for children and for caregivers but you will do more harm (emotionally) in forcing a child who is not ready, especially boys. Talk with the school and see if they can accommodate by giving your child extra potty time in a manner that doesn't rush him they should also give him more opportunities to go.  Reward him for sitting on the potty and trying to go, even if he doesn't produce.  When the stress of a "forced" elimination is taken away, the child often gets into a rhythm that is right for them.  Opportunity, encouragement, praise/reward is the best way to achieve results, and of course time. 

.Peaches.
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I didn't think they allowed children in school who weren't potty trained.

FlourishwithAle
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Well, he doesnt use diapers at home, just to go to school, because pull ups are required. There's no stress at home, we go every hour or so, its just school... they do it in front of everybody, I don't know...

No, I can't take him out. THANK YOU!

FlourishwithAle
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Academy. Learning center. Yes and they help with potty training. It's a private school.

FlourishwithAle
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Thank you very much, I will talk to the school and buy the juices. thanks.

zachsmom19
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I am haveing the same issue.

Quoting FlourishwithAle:

Hi Moms, my son is 3 and a half and we are working on the pupu training. He already pees in the toilet by himself but when it comes to pup he doesn't want to, he tells me later "Flush the Poop Mami"or he brings me a pull up when he isnt wearing one. Now he started a new school and he's constipated, not sure if its because he is embarrased of trying in fron of other children (they all line up for the toilet time) or the way they are training him but last night he started crying and saying it hurts... he doesn't speak much (other issue we are working on) so I wasn't able to know what the problem was.

We need help moms, what  are the do's and donts? Any advice?

Thank you

FlourishwithAle
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:46 AM

What do we do... Other than love, encouragement and patience? not sure mom, not sure...

Janet
by Ruby Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:53 PM
I agree.

Quoting pendragon928:

Sounds like he is holding his feces in an effort to control his elimination.  That can cause constipation, you can try pushing juice (pear, white grape, or prune works best) to loosen his stools but if he's already complaining that it hurts you might want to try an over the counter pediatric glycerin suppository or Miralax which is a mix-in into water or juice, it dissolves completely and is tasteless and pediatrician recommended, this is also over the counter.  If he's not going on a regular basis and is holding his feces, constipation, if not addressed can lead to an impacted bowel which is painful and can be dangerous, if he hasn't had a bowel movement in the last 48 hours you need to consult with your pediatrician (nurse triage line if your clinic offers one) on the best way to get things moving.  Potty training for boys is often a control issue, he will do it when he's ready with encouragement and praise.  Rewards work well too.  Potty training can be very stressfull for children and for caregivers but you will do more harm (emotionally) in forcing a child who is not ready, especially boys. Talk with the school and see if they can accommodate by giving your child extra potty time in a manner that doesn't rush him they should also give him more opportunities to go.  Reward him for sitting on the potty and trying to go, even if he doesn't produce.  When the stress of a "forced" elimination is taken away, the child often gets into a rhythm that is right for them.  Opportunity, encouragement, praise/reward is the best way to achieve results, and of course time. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)