Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Fragile X syndrome ETA

Posted by   + Show Post

My brother (31) has it, and I read that its a gene the parents carry and can pass on to their kids. I'm not sure if I am a carrier (my mom is, and her Father), and it worries me because I have a DD (2) currently, but I want another child someday and I am worried that I could pass fragile x to my next child. 

Anyone familiar with it? 

He is my half brother, from my moms side.

Just a gloomy gazer on a world to which I have little relation

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Replies (11-20):
johnny4ever
Summer is flying by
Yesterday at 8:02 AM
by Mrs. Depp on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Good Luck!

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I never heard of it, sorry.

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I agree with looking into whether your insurance will cover the testing or not. 

Janet
by Ruby Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:38 PM
I never heard of it.
deadlights86
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:41 PM
I don't know about that. I have 2 with autism and neither they nor I have fragile x.

Quoting scraphappy12:

I have, I believe it's the number one cause of autism that is genetic (I'm not sure i said that right). You can be tested as can your child. Talk to your doctor about it. I believe males are more symptomatic than females (again not sure if I am saying that right)
scraphappy12
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:43 PM
I don't think they are the same thing, i am sure I'm saying it wrong, but there is a blood test for fragile x it's a genetic issue, I don't believe there is a test for autism (forgive I'm not overly familiar) but autism is generally diagnosed by symptoms and behaviors right? Like certain criteria for the diagnosis to fit, but fragile x is a lab test

Quoting deadlights86:

I don't know about that. I have 2 with autism and neither they nor I have fragile x.

Quoting scraphappy12:

I have, I believe it's the number one cause of autism that is genetic (I'm not sure i said that right). You can be tested as can your child. Talk to your doctor about it. I believe males are more symptomatic than females (again not sure if I am saying that right)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deadlights86
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:33 PM
The Dr tested my kids for fragile x since they are both autistic. I know they are different disorders but some believe fragile x is a contributing factor to a child having autism. My kids have autism but not fragile x.

Quoting scraphappy12:

I don't think they are the same thing, i am sure I'm saying it wrong, but there is a blood test for fragile x it's a genetic issue, I don't believe there is a test for autism (forgive I'm not overly familiar) but autism is generally diagnosed by symptoms and behaviors right? Like certain criteria for the diagnosis to fit, but fragile x is a lab test

Quoting deadlights86:

Quoting scraphappy12:

LuluLinden
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:49 PM

No, fragile x is from the x chromosome. Mothers can pass it on to either male or female children because women have two x chromosomes. Fathers can not pass it to male children because they pass their y to their sons. Fathers will pass it to all their daughters though because they pass their x to all female children.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting VIVXI:

Would him being my half-brother make any genetic difference?

Quoting romalove:

My mother's first cousin has two boys with Fragile X.  His wife, as it turns out, had a brother with it, but that was never divulged to anyone.  If he had known, they wouldn't have had any kids, let alone two.  They are both in their early 30s now and live in group homes.

I would definitely test for it before going ahead with more children.  Good luck to you.

Maybe.  If the gene is from the parent you're not related to, then you'd be OK. 

Get tested.  :-)

celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Thanks for the information. It's something I have never looked into.

Quoting LuluLinden:

No, fragile x is from the x chromosome. Mothers can pass it on to either male or female children because women have two x chromosomes. Fathers can not pass it to male children because they pass their y to their sons. Fathers will pass it to all their daughters though because they pass their x to all female children.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting VIVXI:

Would him being my half-brother make any genetic difference?

Quoting romalove:

My mother's first cousin has two boys with Fragile X.  His wife, as it turns out, had a brother with it, but that was never divulged to anyone.  If he had known, they wouldn't have had any kids, let alone two.  They are both in their early 30s now and live in group homes.

I would definitely test for it before going ahead with more children.  Good luck to you.

Maybe.  If the gene is from the parent you're not related to, then you'd be OK. 

Get tested.  :-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:12 AM
No, I don't think there is, yet at least.

Quoting scraphappy12:

Quoting deadlights86:

Quoting scraphappy12:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)