Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Sorry, but F* you receptionist at the after hours clinic!

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM
  • 15 Replies

So I'm a first time mom but I consider myself very educated on kids and sicknesses since my sister has three children and from my younger sister, whom I all watched throughout the years. 

With that said, my son was running a fever all day yesterday and I could not break it. Here's some background info on my DS, even when's he's sick he's still active, not as active as his normal 2 year old self, but still plays a bit and doesn't whine. Well yesterday was such a miserable day for him and I could tell. He would want me or DH to carry him, he wanted to lay with me during nap time, and was just off. Now I'm not that mom who takes their I'd to the ER for all this since I now the basics, and I have a friend who's like that and it bugs me because she gets so upset. She spent 4 plus hours at the ER and its just a virus and they gave him Tylenol, ummm yay?! What did you except?! 

Anyways, so I found a new after hours clinic that had longer hours on weekends than the usual one I had gone to so me and DH agreed it was more than his allergies, molars coming in or virus. So as we're driving to the clinic it's in a nice shopping center on the nice part of town, we don't live in a bad part but this area is just really nice considering the people who live in that area,and when we walked in instantly felt good about it, then I talked to the receptionist...

if my other clinic wasn't already closed, they closed at 6, I would have told her to get a different job and work on her people skills and probably have a few kids. Here's a brief explaination of the convo,

"hi welcome to blah blah blah." 

"Yes I'd like to sign my son in" since there was no sign in sheet or anything.

"we'll whats wrong? What are we seeing him for?" In my head I'm like, ummm doesn't the nurse or dr ask me that? So I explain his nonstop fever, vomiting, lack of appetite, etc. (which most of you moms know sounds like a virus)

"oh ok. Well has he been in contact with any sick children?" So I'm already pissed she hasn't ask for my insurance info or name and is literally examining me along with this other lady who's next to her.

So for about five minutes they both make me feel like I'm wasting my time taking my son and that's it's probably just a virus. NEVER did they ask me to sign in, so I say well I think it's something more because he's off so where do I sign in. The damn receptionist rolls her fuckin eyes!!! Then turns out the other lady was the nurse, who then realized his fever was 102 degrees and his tummy was making noises. Then all is aged by the awesome Dr, so sweet and asked me all these questions and really took into consideration of how I knew it wasn't just a virus because of the way DS was all day. So as he's examining him he notices his tonsils are extremely inflamed. So the nurse comes in and does a strep test, and. Guess what?! He has strep. So we get out paperwork and go about our way out. It was so hard for me to holdback from telling those two ladies off and telling them that some parents don't like to just drive 20 minutes out of their way to the opposite side of town because I can't wait for his dr on Monday, but DH literally held me back lol. 

SORRY SO LONG LADIES!! Just needed to vent. 

by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

That is just crazy. I would be pissed too.

grneyedormom
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I would be less than impressed with her rolling her eyes but the general questions about the presentation of his illness are part of the screening process for his treatment. Even the receptionist at my pediatricians office asks me basic questions like that when I set appointments for my kiddo.

If it still bothers you, call back and speak with the office manager and let them know about the incident, politely. :)
Randi02
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I agree.

I wouldn't be taking my child in for a fever that low, anyway. Especially since it had been going on for such a short period of time.

Quoting grneyedormom:

I would be less than impressed with her rolling her eyes but the general questions about the presentation of his illness are part of the screening process for his treatment. Even the receptionist at my pediatricians office asks me basic questions like that when I set appointments for my kiddo.

If it still bothers you, call back and speak with the office manager and let them know about the incident, politely. :)

faire_jour
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Meh

Dcn2010
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:18 PM

So does my ped dr receptionist but it was more her tone of voice and how she was asking. It's hard to explain on here where if I were to say it when talking to someone. And DH told me to do that but the dr really changed everything for me and if it happens again ill speak up.  

Quoting grneyedormom:

Dcn2010
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:21 PM

His fever got up to 103.5 but I was able to maintain a 100.5-102.5 but it was more of how not himself he was that made us want to take him in. I've learned with him that if he's in a blah mood, its something bacterial. Like today, he's jumping off walls back to himself! But he still has a temp of 101.3 lol. 

Quoting Randi02:

I agree.

I wouldn't be taking my child in for a fever that low, anyway. Especially since it had been going on for such a short period of time.

Quoting grneyedormom:

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Hope your son feels better soon.

grneyedormom
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm guessing you felt that she was inpatient with you as you were explaining your child's symptoms and not overly worried about your concerns. I still feel that even with the Dr's time and care with your sn, that the first impression you received when arriving at the clinic should be brought to the office manager's attention. Perhaps the receptionist just needed a little reminder that some patience and TLC with parents who are worried goes a long way. Afterall, we know our children better than they do!

Quoting Dcn2010:

So does my ped dr receptionist but it was more her tone of voice and how she was asking. It's hard to explain on here where if I were to say it when talking to someone. And DH told me to do that but the dr really changed everything for me and if it happens again ill speak up.  

Quoting grneyedormom:

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I agree as well. 

Quoting Randi02:

I agree.

Quoting grneyedormom:

javabrainmomma
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

It's a good thing she did, untreated strep can lead to some serious problems.  

Quoting splatz:

I agree as well. 

Quoting Randi02:

I agree.

Quoting grneyedormom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN