Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Pressing The SILLY BUTTON To Get Out Of A Stressed-Out Mood

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 54 Replies
3 moms liked this

No matter how much you plan and schedule to avoid stress during the school year, it's going to happen. There are going to be stressful days/weeks/months where the small errors (I forgot the field trip form! Again!) or added responsibilities (Wait. I have to send HOW many cookies tomorrow?) pile on and you just can't help but be overwhelmed. These are the moments I tend to show the least amount of patience with my children and often find myself nagging more than hugging.

When I realize I've entered one of these ruts, I have no other options than to push the SILLY BUTTON in our lives.

The SILLY BUTTON is like a reset button for me. When I find myself overwhelmed and taking my stress out on my children, I usually need a jolt. A "reset" to shake me loose of the reigns of anxiety so I can try not to make my children pay for things they aren't responsible for.

Basically, the SILLY BUTTON just means that I add an element of SILLY to something normally innocuous. For example:

• I greet the children at breakfast with a notepad and pretend I'm their server. I'll tell them, "We have cereal on the menu today, and chicken livers. Who wants what?" They usually crack up immediately and squeal at the thought of eating livers for breafkast.

• When I wake them up in the mornings, I act like a horse and offer them rides to the breakfast table.

• I wear my husband's shoes around the house and act like it's completely normal. I even add the stage-trips in there for the physical comedy. Nothing makes a child laugh more than seeing their Mom goofy-trip and fall.

• I turn up their favorite songs really loud and sing and dance around the house while I cook dinner.

• I try to put on one of their articles of clothing and complain loudly that I don't understand why it won't fit.

• I let the kids fix my hair. (I work from home, remember.)

• I only speak with fake accents and broken English and intentionally misunderstand everything my kids say. ("You say you want a mustard and honey sandwich? Are you sure? Okay...")

All of these things crack my kids up, which rubs off on me and helps my stressed-out moods dissipate. They also tend to make me laugh as well, which is the best anti-anxiety medicine you can ask for. But mainly, it helps keep me from being frustrated with my kids when they've done nothing to warrant that other than be around me when I'm stressed about parenting obligations.

Do you have any SILLY BUTTON type activities that crack your kids up?

Read about the Chevy Traverse at #TraverseTested

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elasmimi
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:24 AM

I have a silly song I sing to her in an opera style, that I've done since she was a baby. The fact that I cannot carry a tune makes it really funny. Never fails to make her laugh.

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:13 AM

We used to listen to swing music and dance around.

dusky_rose
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Sometimes I talk in a silly voice or say obvious stuff that I know will make him laugh.

Madelaine
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:51 AM

We listen to music

nates.girl
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:51 AM
I make goofy faces. .. & my youngest son likes to make up words just to get a funny face from me lol :-)
arpazia
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:19 PM
I'm always silly!
Haha.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bamababe1975
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:39 PM

That's cute, but no.

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Many things, I'm just a silly person, I sing, dance and use my silly voice, make up games, and I do the funny mommy walk haha

Leelee1008
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I do this with my toddler all the time... When I get stressed out about other things beyond her little controll or understanding, I try to be silly with her.

funhappymom
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I do not have a silly button type activity.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN