Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

When Ends DON'T Meet

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM
  • 228 Replies
2 moms liked this

I am a SAHM and our situation is such that working outside the home wouldn't make much sense. I have started doing a little babysitting, DH has 2 jobs, we don't get any PA. Things have been super tight and I have run out of ways to cut back! How do you ladies save money? Where have you cut back if you've had to? Any ideas would be helpful!

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleMc
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:50 PM
5 moms liked this

Have you tried to work from home? A lot of legit places at workplacelikehome.com

I have worked from home either as my main job or as a supplement for years. 

Major things to cut ( since I need to clarify it seems ) is always cable, internet, phone ( cell phone, get rid of home phone ), grocery shopping cut backs, watching gas ( going to do everything at one time, doing take as many trips ), cutting back on insurance ( lower to less than full coverage if you can for a while if you don't have a call payment ). 

Junebaby18
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:41 PM
4 moms liked this
Not trying to be nosey, but if you don't mind, could you tell us how much you have coming in (on average if it varies) monthly and what you pay out each month. Ex: rent/mortgage, electric/gas, car payments, car insurance, food, etc. That will help us to figure out what you can trim down where.
MonicaP76
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:25 PM

We arent currently in a position where we have to cut back, but If I had to cut back the first things that would go would be cable and phones. That right there would save us 350.00 a month. Then next thing to go would be to trade Down to used vehicales opposed to the new ones we currentlu have (when our leases were up) That would save us another 800.00 a month at least...

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:04 AM
6 moms liked this

I make my own laundry soap, cloth diaper my baby, cut out bills that we can do without for a while. Keep all major appliances and lights off during the afternoon when its the most expensive this summer. It helps alot. I read to my kids and play games and such during those times. Simple things like that help alot. My husband has been on disability at work and on light duty since he hurt his shoulder. It got tight. I went to the food pantry a couple of times and that helped. They dont care how much you make. They will give if to you first come first serve. We have a facebook buy/sell/trade group for the town i live in and i was able to get some free cans of baby formula that were sample cans that someone didnt need. Now that my baby is on whole milk its been easier. Now that he has been released to regular work as of yesterday then hopefully we will get back on track.

celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Quoting MonicaP76:

We arent currently in a position where we have to cut back, but If I had to cut back the first things that would go would be cable and phones. That right there would save us 350.00 a month. Then next thing to go would be to trade Down to used vehicales opposed to the new ones we currentlu have (when our leases were up) That would save us another 800.00 a month at least...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I do my own soap! Awesome advice. I make my own deoderant too. And windex....etc.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

I make my own laundry soap, cloth diaper my baby, cut out bills that we can do without for a while. Keep all major appliances and lights off during the afternoon when its the most expensive this summer. It helps alot. I read to my kids and play games and such during those times. Simple things like that help alot. My husband has been on disability at work and on light duty since he hurt his shoulder. It got tight. I went to the food pantry a couple of times and that helped. They dont care how much you make. They will give if to you first come first serve. We have a facebook buy/sell/trade group for the town i live in and i was able to get some free cans of baby formula that were sample cans that someone didnt need. Now that my baby is on whole milk its been easier. Now that he has been released to regular work as of yesterday then hopefully we will get back on track.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:01 AM

We got rid of cable and our landline, also contract cells. Now we just have pre paid TracFones that we hardly ever use so they work for us. I meal plan so that saves money at the grocery store. I used to make my own laundry soap which was really cheap.

AMRios
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Cut back on TV, Internet, change your cell phone package, cut off anything you do not need... We had a water service, car wash monthly package and I did ItWorks but since Christmas is coming and my husband is on temporary shore duty so we took a pay cut we cut all of those off.. I lowered our TV package and called the internet to see what we could do... We changed our insurance and actually saved $1,200 a year! I went as far as trading in my expensive car for one a few years older and a lot cheaper... Temporary sacrifices for a long term gain!

cjsmom1
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Get rid of cable, basic cell phone plans, have meatless dinners a few nights a week, shop sales, use coupons.
Ali5683
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:53 AM
5 moms liked this

Why can't you get a job?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN