Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

When Ends DON'T Meet

Posted by   + Show Post

I am a SAHM and our situation is such that working outside the home wouldn't make much sense. I have started doing a little babysitting, DH has 2 jobs, we don't get any PA. Things have been super tight and I have run out of ways to cut back! How do you ladies save money? Where have you cut back if you've had to? Any ideas would be helpful!

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Replies (221-228):
TxMamma11
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas and advice! I have read every post, but I have only had the time to respond to somebody you. I was a bit overwhelmed by the number of posts! Thanks again ladies! You guys rock!
erica7227
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Really?

Quoting randomosityblog:

Do you guys not wash your hands after you pee? lol Geezlouise.

Quoting erica7227:

No. I also have 5 people in my house. Just don't go through handsoap like crazy I guess. I probably buy a bottle for each sink once a year. Except the downstairs bathroom. That I refill every 3 months. Just didnt think it was a huge money saver to make your own. Who knew!

Quoting randomosityblog:

Do you live alone? We have to buy handsoap once a month or so, and there are 5 of us.

We make our own laundry soap and it saves a LOT.

Quoting erica7227:

I saw so many people posting about handsoap & was curious. Guess I don't wash my hands that often, I only buy handsoap like twice a year ;)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

It's a gallon, which nearly lasts me all year.  So I probably save 5-6 bucks a month with it.  Add to that the laundry detergent and it's worth the 15 minutes it takes to make it.

Quoting erica7227:

Do you really save that much money by making your own handsoap?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Cell phones,
Cable (we got Netflix instead of cable and it saved us a lot!!),
Call your phone company and see if you can bundle your internet
We cut back on meat (beans are much cheaper)
We changed our insurance.
We make our own handsoap (1 bar of soap shredded and a gallon ofhot water to melt it, let sit overnight and the next day it is a gallon of liquid handsoap!)
And our own laundry detergent.

Ms.Mysterious
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Sorry, I'm just now getting back to you. He gets off home about 7am and sleeps for about 3 hours then gets up when the baby gets up and then will nap for a few hours in the after noon when the baby naps and then another couple hours when I get home. He manages about 6 - 8 hours a day like the rest of us. 

Quoting lnr187:

when does your husband sleep?

Quoting Ms.Mysterious:

You don't always have to pay for child care! Where there's a will, there's a way. I have 4 children and we don't pay for childcare. I work 88 hours a week and he works 40 hours a week. I work M-F during the day- alot of times as long as 12 hours shifts from 9am to 9pm. I also work a 48hour shift on weekends. My SO works 3rd shift from 11pm to 7am. We have twins (8), a 6 year old and a 4 month old. One of us is always home with our children. We bank some pretty serious cash in the process and know that it's well worth the sacrifice. I work long days and get 1 to 2 days off a week and those are times we spend together as a family and a couple. We want to put cash down on a house in the next year or 2 and never have to worry about a mortgage. We want to pay cash for everything and have enough money in the bank that we don't have to worry about paying our bills, ever. You can make it work if you needed to. 

But, in the instance that she doesn't want to work, yeah always, always, always cut down to the bare necessities and go from there. 

Quoting 1st_time_mom789:

It could be a possibility of not being able to afford childcare. If they are tight on money, and trying to look for things to cut back on, she may not be working outside of the home because they financially can't afford to put their child in daycare. They may not have family or friends who can watch their child. 

Quoting Ali5683:

Why can't you get a job?

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:21 PM

cut out the fluff - anything that is not necessary can be cut out.  Switch to store brand or no name brands on everything. Cut coupons, watch for sale, buy in bulk, cook in bluk then freeze or can.  Cut out features on your phones like caller ID or voice mail, cancel the land line if you have cell phones, boost your deductible on your insurance to reduce monthly cost.  Get rid of any subscription to magazines. Cut out eating out.

SunnyCat
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Coupons/groupon help out. All unnecessary luxuries should be out.

We cancelled our cable and signed up to Netflix, amazon streaming (although we can do without those too). We don't go out to eat as much, maybe 1,2 times a month if even that.

We use a phone landline thats very cheap-Ooma. I told my husband I didn't need a cellphone due to this expense, but he insisted me having one. But he found a good deal for both phones. 

massconfusion14
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

You must live north. Try cutting your air in Houston.. we would die of heat exhaustion!! I wish I could cut back but my a/c has been on 78 all summer and my bill hasnt been below $150

Quoting jeda1429:

I buy my son's pants and some of his shirts at the family dollar, they actually have some cute clothes that are cheaper than you would find in most stores . We don't use any cleaning products, most of the time you can get away with using water , a little ivory soap and a little vinegar. We search for free community things to do for entertainment, some of them are actually quite fun. And we haven't had our air on all summer. It really wasn't that bad. 

TxMamma11
by Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:31 PM
I'm in Houston too! The A/c is something we can't do without! I'm ready for fall though. Them we open the windows in the evening, but it's been too hot for that so far.

Quoting massconfusion14:

You must live north. Try cutting your air in Houston.. we would die of heat exhaustion!! I wish I could cut back but my a/c has been on 78 all summer and my bill hasnt been below $150

Quoting jeda1429:

I buy my son's pants and some of his shirts at the family dollar, they actually have some cute clothes that are cheaper than you would find in most stores . We don't use any cleaning products, most of the time you can get away with using water , a little ivory soap and a little vinegar. We search for free community things to do for entertainment, some of them are actually quite fun. And we haven't had our air on all summer. It really wasn't that bad. 

massconfusion14
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

OH MY!! It was a little chilly this morning! Even though it wont last long today, it's nice to have a break from the humidity and heat!

Quoting TxMamma11:

I'm in Houston too! The A/c is something we can't do without! I'm ready for fall though. Them we open the windows in the evening, but it's been too hot for that so far.

Quoting massconfusion14:

Quoting jeda1429:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)