Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Apples After School

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 54 Replies

Depending on where you're at in the country, most everyone should be coming up on apple season. If you're lucky enough to live near an apple orchard then you know the memories and special times that can be had from an annual trip to pick apples. We've been picking apples at several different orchards in Indianapolis since we moved here almost seven years ago. Wheter you have an orchard near you or not, here's a few fun things to do with apples now that fall is well on its way.

If you do have an orchard near you, host an apple taste testing event after dinner. After school, go pick one of each kind of apple available, keep them labeled and then try each one and rate them on cripliness, sweetness, tartness or whatever else you feel makes a good apple. Maybe you'll find some new favorites, or perhaps one that isn't your favorite at all. Honeycrisp apples right off the tree are one of the best things about fall.

PIE! Apple pie can be as easy or as complicated as you want to make it. If you're not into making your own crust, buy one. If you love the challenge pie crust presents? Take this opportunity to teach your kids about patience and preparation. Kids love helping, even if it's something they don't think they'll like. Even better is they're a lot more willing to try something they made with you. (In case you're wondering, "WHAT HUMAN DOESN'T LIKE APPLE PIE?" My kids. My kids do not like pie.)

Ever tried making your own applesauce? It's a pretty easy and gratifying process. You can make it exactly how you like it, or make a few different types to appeal to the different tastes in your family. If canning is something your family is into now is a good time to gather in the kitchen and prepare for fall.

Often each orchard has its own special treats available in addition to apples, sometimes it's caramel, other times apple slushes or cider and if you're lucky — apple donuts or dumplings. Make these treats part of your annual apple tradition and your kids will look foward to fall getting started and cooler weather coming.

What's your favorite way to use apples in fall?

Read about the Chevy Traverse at #TraverseTested

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auntangelofsix
by Angel on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Yum yum candy apples they sell in groc stores.
johnny4ever
3 weeks till school starts!
Today at 7:22 AM
by Mrs. Depp on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Apple Pie..Apple Crisp

johnny4ever

Caramal Apples

johnny4ever

Apple Dumplings

jen113000
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:59 AM
My kids love apples. Applesauce and cut up apples. They eat them just about everyday.
matt_sara_mom
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I love to make applesauce, but mainly sliced apples with peanut butter or nutella is a favorite way to use up our apples.

jen113000
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I forgot, another thing I love is my jewish apple cake! Baked apples with cinnamon and sugar in cake! Can't get much better then that!

arpazia
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Pie!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessicasmom1
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Yum yes!

jessicasmom1
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:36 AM

carmal apples, apple crisps, apple pie, apple squares , apple dumplings , apple sauce .. pork and apple stuffing ...... oh just to name a few

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)