Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How to Make a School Memory Box

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 53 Replies

In the scheme of work, schedules, sports, and everything in between, saving kid's special papers and artwork isn't top priority.  Create a simple memory box to save those papers in one place.

Taking a little time to prepare for the influx of papers can be helpful and definitely ease you and your kids into the start of the new school year.   I put together a little memory box for special school papers, report cards, notes, and small artwork. 

Here's what you need to get started:

• File storage box(es) - you can start all your kids in one box or just get them each their own storage box from the start
  • Hanging file folders
  • Labels for the file folders
  • Optional: you can use a label for the front of each folder to document special memories from each school year.  I have 3 free cute printable versions here.

If you have piles and piles of paper, start by sorting and just saving the best or most memorable papers for each child.  I keep about 15-20 papers from each school year, focusing on their favorites and special projects.  Then make a folder for each grade or year.  I started with a preschool folder and then created a folder for each grade after that.  Work on the project with your child or children and they'll take more interest in the sorting and storing of important papers once the project is completed.  

The best time to start a memory box is when your oldest child is going into preschool or kindergarten, but you can start a memory box any time.  Another great feature is that a memory or keepsake box like this will force you to keep the paperwork that you save at a minimum.  Think about how much more space and room this can create in lieu of the piles of papers you have waiting for a home! 

How about you?  How do you store your children's paperwork?

Read about the Chevy Traverse at #TraverseTested

© iStockphoto (enviromantic)

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:41 AM

I have a box all done up.Some artwork I do hang up to!My box has grades Preschool-12th with folders!

sukainah
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I need to do this.  I have my kids things in boxes and I need to make them pretty and more organized, especially now that they are both going to school now.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I like the hanging file folders

Miranda1127
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I learned a long time ago that the best way to store school 'crap'...achem I mean memories is to scan it all, file it by grade/date and put it on a memory card and in their school scrap book....then in the recycling bin the originals go. I do keep some originals. Holiday themed crafts and pics for decorations (they go up every year, it gives our holidays that homey feeling and cuts back on the cost of unnecessary decor), painting (many of those have been framed and act as my art collection), and similar items.

Miranda1127
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:41 AM

cute!

Quoting johnny4ever:

http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com/2010/11/school-paperwork-storage.html

Pin I used to make mine

jen113000
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:49 AM
That's a really good idea. May have to do that!

Quoting Miranda1127:

I learned a long time ago that the best way to store school 'crap'...achem I mean memories is to scan it all, file it by grade/date and put it on a memory card and in their school scrap book....then in the recycling bin the originals go. I do keep some originals. Holiday themed crafts and pics for decorations (they go up every year, it gives our holidays that homey feeling and cuts back on the cost of unnecessary decor), painting (many of those have been framed and act as my art collection), and similar items.

jen113000
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:50 AM
I don't keep much but I have folders with my sons stuff he's made.
matt_sara_mom
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Each child has a large box for projects and pictures. I take pictures of every item and every few months I go through and we pick out favorites to send to the grands. The rest go into the recycling bin. At the end of the year everything get's mailed to the grands for Christmas. I have the pictures saved for us and plan on making yearly books with the pictures to have as a keepsake. We also keep an assortment in a portfolio just in case for homeschooling reasons.

lalasmama2007
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:24 AM

We keep her things in binders with sleeves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)