Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Potty training-are you all for real?!

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:24 PM
  • 84 Replies
2 moms liked this

So I was reading the featured post about diapers past age 2, and I just don't understand. How are so many people's children physically capable of being fully potty trained, even at night, before they are even two years old? My first son did start pooping on the potty at about 19 months and never pooped in his diaper after that, but he still didn't start peeing and wearing big boy underwear until a little after his second birthday. My second son is 18 months old and is just starting to pee in the shower and realize something is actually going on down there. No way would he stop running and playing long enough to even think about the potty. I saw people claiming full potty training at 15 MONTHS!!

Are people being honest, or is this like when moms claim their 9 month old can sing the national anthem on key, read Dr Seuss books, and do multiplication tables?

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brittanyo
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I don't know but some kids cry when they feel the pee run down their legs so its possible they trained very early I have seen it

Connie04
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I've heard of moms who can read their newborn's "cues", so they know when to hold them over the toilet.  I have no idea how that could possibly work.  You would have to stay attached to your kid 24/7 to continually catch all the "cues". 

gcstar42
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:35 PM

My son was trained by 2 1/2 (although he is 7 and still has poop accidents, but that is a medical issue.) My oldest daughter who is 5 was potty trained before she turned 2. Both of them quit wetting at night before they were ever potty trained, so that was never an issue. My youngest daughter who just turned 4 was potty trained soon after turning 2, but she did not quit wetting at night until just recently. She wore pullups to bed until about a month or so ago. My cousin did have her daughter fully trained by 15 months and her son was I think 21-22 months. With both of the she was super dedicated though and spent a couple of weeks where she basically did nothing and went nowhere and just stayed home and took them potty over and over until they figured it out. I think a lot ofit is just how much time and dedication you want to put into it. For me personally, I just encouraged my kids and showed them where and how to go potty without pushing it super hard. So instead of trying to train them within a few days, I took a few months to do it. I do feel like most kids should be able to be potty trained before they turn 3 though.

soon2bmomof2grs
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

We are starting my 11 month old. She likes it. She has peed in the potty once and pooped 6 times since Sunday. NO I do not think it is amazing, because I watch her and put her on the potty when I know she is about to poop. Last night she did go to the bathroom when I asked if she had to and that was the time she peed. She likes to think she is a big kid, and she watches her sister go to the bathroom. So I guess that is why she is starting to get into it. Each kid is different and if she ends up in diapers till she is 3 I will be okay with that, no need to rush her right now. Just glad she isn't scared of the potty.

gcstar42
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

My grandma did that with my oldest uncle starting when he was about 6 months. But once she had more than one kid she said there was no way she could have done that with the rest of them because it did take a ton of time and individul attention.

Quoting Connie04:

I've heard of moms who can read their newborn's "cues", so they know when to hold them over the toilet.  I have no idea how that could possibly work.  You would have to stay attached to your kid 24/7 to continually catch all the "cues". 

.Peaches.
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I didn't potty train my girls until they were around 3, but they sure weren't wearing DIAPERS.

Everyone feels the need to have a superbaby who's smart and can talk and fax, copy and collate and type 50 WPM. There's no concept of letting a kid just be a kid anymore, and its sad.

Alyssasmommy412
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Some kids are ready early some are not, my DD had a friend in preschool whose mother was German, she said in Germany most children are trained between 18 months and 2 years.

Retrokitty
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Some kids have full control of muscles before two some do not. You can also clasically condition your child to go on the potty as early as 8 months but I disagree with the method.

rosewind13
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

It just goes back to every kid being different, I think. Some train really early, some train later. They all develop at different rates, so I think it is very possible a lot of kids are potty trained before 2.

MonicaP76
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

All of my kids were potty trained by the age of two.. I also started training them all around 9 months. I don't understand why the concept is so difficult to understand. Some kids do, some kids don't...that's all there is to it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN